Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very high depth of coverage

I have done Illumina GAII sequencing that involved tiled long-range PCR products over a 200kb region of genomic DNA.
    Even with multiplexing within lanes, the output of sequencing gives me an average of 1500X coverage of the region per individual (some regions up to 3000X).
    What would be the best tool to do alignment and accurately call variants with this type of coverage?
    I have used CLC Genomics Workbench, and alignment is OK, but during SNP calling many apparent false positive variants are detected (for example, in a 1000X coverage region 950 A calls, 50 C calls). 50 calls seems like a lot to be error, but independent data (SNP genotyping and Sanger sequencing) call the region homozygous.
    Are there programs better equipped for this type of very deep coverage? Thanks.

It is of course a statistical problem. What if you adjust your read coverage (not your proportions) to a lower perhaps even consistent level - essentially taking read coverage out of the equation. Just speculating here.

Comment

Have you tried filtering your sequences for duplicates? We find this essential when dealing with long range pcr libraries. We've used bwa/picard/samtools and the FASTX toolkit/CLC bio with success.

Comment

Originally posted by dwmohr View Post
        Have you tried filtering your sequences for duplicates? We find this essential when dealing with long range pcr libraries. We've used bwa/picard/samtools and the FASTX toolkit/CLC bio with success.
        How do you identify duplicates if you expect at least two reads to have the same starting position? Even when you enforce both ends must have the same starting position with >1500X coverage you would expect to have two reads have both ends have the same starting position.

Anybody have any other ideas to identify PCR duplicates on high coverage data? I don't think it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
          Anybody have any other ideas to identify PCR duplicates on high coverage data? I don't think it is possible.
          I suppose you'd have to take an observed/expected approach. If you know the number and size distribution of your sequences you can work out the likelyhood of exact ovelaps of different depths (assuming reads are randomly distributed). Anything falling too far from the expected range would be suspicious.

You could also maybe look at the ratio of exact overlaps to non-exact overlaps. If you have a region composed mostly of exact overlaps then that's not right for a randomly fragmented library. This should work even with unevenly distributed reads.

Neither of these are going to detect small PCR effects, but normally we'd expect that when the PCR goes wrong it often goes very wrong - and those are the problems we're more interested in sorting out.

Comment

Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
            I suppose you'd have to take an observed/expected approach. If you know the number and size distribution of your sequences you can work out the likelyhood of exact ovelaps of different depths (assuming reads are randomly distributed). Anything falling too far from the expected range would be suspicious.

You could also maybe look at the ratio of exact overlaps to non-exact overlaps. If you have a region composed mostly of exact overlaps then that's not right for a randomly fragmented library. This should work even with unevenly distributed reads.

Neither of these are going to detect small PCR effects, but normally we'd expect that when the PCR goes wrong it often goes very wrong - and those are the problems we're more interested in sorting out.
            That should work. I am also thinking about clonal reads for SOLiD data. In this case, it wont be as bad as when things go wrong with PCR in prep.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses