No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about burrows-wheeler transform

Hi, guys,

I'm working on next-generation sequencing data (illumina, and solid). It's said that bwa can run very fast. I've downloaded bwa. But I don't know how to install it. I'm using federa on x64 computer. Is there anyone who could kindly tell me how to install it?

Can bwa process solid data efficiently? Could you guys give me any suggestion about what software I may use to process solid data of whole human genome? Thank you very much.

Jing

sorry, i made a mistake. i was using install commands for maq to install bwa. just enter the bwa file and key in make, it works fine.

anyway, Can bwa process solid data efficiently? Could you guys give me any suggestion about what software I may use to process solid data of whole human genome? Thank you very much.

Jing

Comment

Originally posted by henry View Post
      sorry, i made a mistake. i was using install commands for maq to install bwa. just enter the bwa file and key in make, it works fine.

anyway, Can bwa process solid data efficiently? Could you guys give me any suggestion about what software I may use to process solid data of whole human genome? Thank you very much.

Jing
      I would run some quick simulations to convince yourself that bwa can detect what you are looking for, especially SNPs and indels in the presence of errors. Also note that SOLiD data has a higher raw color error rate (up to 10%), whereas BWA says it is suited for <%2 error rates. Anyhow, you are sacrificing something for speed and in my own unpublished simulations it is sensitivity, though BWA is oddly faster for ABI data compared to Illumina data (maybe I am doing something wrong). To my knowledge, simulation tools can be found in any of the following alignment packages: MAQ, BFAST, and SAMtools. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.

Comment

You might wish to try NextGENe which will process Solid and other data and has a modified BWT for whole genome reference, or we can send a BWT reference to you.

Best

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
          I would run some quick simulations to convince yourself that bwa can detect what you are looking for, especially SNPs and indels in the presence of errors. Also note that SOLiD data has a higher raw color error rate (up to 10%), whereas BWA says it is suited for <%2 error rates. Anyhow, you are sacrificing something for speed and in my own unpublished simulations it is sensitivity, though BWA is oddly faster for ABI data compared to Illumina data (maybe I am doing something wrong). To my knowledge, simulation tools can be found in any of the following alignment packages: MAQ, BFAST, and SAMtools. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.
          Hi, nilshomer
          Thank you for replying to me. ABI provides a free software named 'CORONALite' to process SOLiD data. I tried using 'CORONALite' to identify SNPs/indels from small model organism genome as a test. It could identify SNPs, but no indels were found. I felt the results were strange.
          Plus CORONALite use PBS to assign work submited to our computer cluster, so the work can be performed on multiple computer nodes. However, some assignment on some node couldn't be finished successfully (I don't know the reason. Maybe many people were competing to use that computer node. I have no idea). Then I had to submit work again and again. CORONALite is not that good.
          I didn't try to process SOLiD data with MAQ. But MAQ claims it can process SOLiD data. BWA is somewhat improved version of MAQ. So I wanna have a try. BWA is suited for process SOLiD data with error rates less than 2%, but SOLiD data has a raw color error rate (up to 10%). So BWA is also not a good option for processing SOLiD data.
          I'm confused that there isn't any good open source software that can be applied to process SOLiD data?
          Thank you very much.

Jing

Comment

Originally posted by SoftGenetics View Post
            You might wish to try NextGENe which will process Solid and other data and has a modified BWT for whole genome reference, or we can send a BWT reference to you.

Best
            Hi SoftGenetics,
            Thank you very much. I've downloaded BWT references.
            Best
            Jing

Comment

Hi, nilshomer
              Thank you for replying to me. ABI provides a free software named 'CORONALite' to process SOLiD data. I tried using 'CORONALite' to identify SNPs/indels from small model organism genome as a test. It could identify SNPs, but no indels were found. I felt the results were strange.
              Plus CORONALite use PBS to assign work submited to our computer cluster, so the work can be performed on multiple computer nodes. However, some assignment on some node couldn't be finished successfully (I don't know the reason. Maybe many people were competing to use that computer node. I have no idea). Then I had to submit work again and again. CORONALite is not that good.
              I didn't try to process SOLiD data with MAQ. But MAQ claims it can process SOLiD data. BWA is somewhat improved version of MAQ. So I wanna have a try. BWA is suited for process SOLiD data with error rates less than 2%, but SOLiD data has a raw color error rate (up to 10%). So BWA is also not a good option for processing SOLiD data.
              I'm confused that there isn't any good open source software that can be applied to process SOLiD data?
              Thank you very much.

Jing
              Try BFAST (http://bfast.sourceforge.net), which is admittedly my own software. I am the processing NextGene, I will let you know how that goes. I have also evaluated BWA, MAQ, SHRiMP, SOCS, and ZOOM. As per corona-lite, I think there is a "small-indel" tool you can download from the solid software tools website. We have not gotten corona-lite to work in our lab so I feel your pain.

Comment

Try BFAST (http://bfast.sourceforge.net), which is admittedly my own software. I am the processing NextGene, I will let you know how that goes. I have also evaluated BWA, MAQ, SHRiMP, SOCS, and ZOOM. As per corona-lite, I think there is a "small-indel" tool you can download from the solid software tools website. We have not gotten corona-lite to work in our lab so I feel your pain.
                Hi, nilshhomer,
                I've downloaded the software you suggested, and had a glimpse of the manual. I will have a try.
                Btw, you mentioned you evaluated BWA, MAQ, SHRiMP, SOCS, and ZOOM on next-generation data (illumina, solid). Have compared them with BFAST ? If possible, could send me the evaluation results for those tools? Thank you very much!
                Anyway, maybe I will compare the results produced by BAW with those results by BFAST.

Best

Jing

Comment

Hi, nilshhomer,
                  I've downloaded the software you suggested, and had a glimpse of the manual. I will have a try.
                  Btw, you mentioned you evaluated BWA, MAQ, SHRiMP, SOCS, and ZOOM on next-generation data (illumina, solid). Have compared them with BFAST ? If possible, could send me the evaluation results for those tools? Thank you very much!
                  Anyway, maybe I will compare the results produced by BAW with those results by BFAST.

Best

Jing
                  It goes without saying that the purpose of the evaluations was to compare other methods to BFAST for SOLiD data. PM me with your email and I will send you a draft.

Nils

Comment

It goes without saying that the purpose of the evaluations was to compare other methods to BFAST for SOLiD data. PM me with your email and I will send you a draft.

Nils
                    hi, nilshhomer,
                    Thank you for your kind help. I will read the draft carefully. My email is [email protected]
                    Best wishes

Jing

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses