No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REM e System for enrichment

Hi,

Roche/454 is coming with the REM e System for automating the enrichment steps. We are most likely going to buy the REM e unit, and need to decide on a liquid handler. They write they have tested Hamilton Starlet and Tecan Genesis, and early access partners have tested Biomek FX and Biomek 2000. Since we already have a Biomek, getting another one is what we prefer.

Any experience out there? What did you get/are you getting and did it work? Things to think about? What (not) to do? Is it easy to set up and use?

Thanks,

flxlex

Sorry - I don't have an answer to your question, but a qestion to you: where can I find the info (publicly) from Roche on the use of that REM e system? Can you post a link or PM me the info? Thanks a lot!

Comment

I think it is best you contact your local Roche representative, they should be able to provide you with all the information (better then I am anyway...).

Comment

Does anyone have the REM system in their lab that does want to post about it? How does it work?

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your interest in the REM e System. This unit is not presently available as it is slated for launch in early 2010. I'll post more information when it's available and in the interim I'd recommend following up with your local Roche representative.

Best regards,
          Jason

Technical Product Manager
          454 Life Sciences, A Roche Company

Comment

Thanks for the info, Jason.
            Are you able to disclose what REM stands for?
            No promotions yet on what that will be able to do?

Comment

You're welcome, Susanne. The REM e System is a robotic module for automation of post-breaking steps - in other words, enrichment and sequencing primer annealing. It is a deck accessory intended for use with common liquid handling platforms. You can expect to see further details on it in the near future! In the meantime, there's a little more information at the bottom of this page on the 454 website:

Best regards,
              Jason

Comment

thank you jason i am very excited for the release

Comment

REM e System - 454 Automation

I saw this on the 454 website.

Any users here planning to get one of these, or have one already? Anyone been quoted a price? We find emPCR enrichment by far the most onerous step in the 454 workflow so anything that makes it easier would be most welcome.

454 Life Sciences Offers Simplified Sequencing Workflow with New Automation Solution for the Genome Sequencer FLX System

Branford, CT - January 26, 2010
                  454 Life Sciences announced today the launch and immediate availability of the new REM e System, a robotic accessory module for liquid handling systems which enables complete automation of emPCR enrichment in the GS FLX Titanium workflow. The REM e System dramatically simplifies the sequencing workflow by replacing five hours of dedicated manual lab work with an automated walk-away procedure. The module can be readily integrated into most commonly available liquid handling platforms, providing a cost-effective solution to increase sequencing productivity and consistency for all GS FLX Titanium series run formats.

The new automation solution represents one of a series of recent improvements to streamline the sequencing system’s end-to-end workflow, from sample preparation through data analysis. Late last year, 454 Life Sciences announced the launch of a new GS FLX Titanium Rapid Library Preparation Kit which takes half of the time of previously available kits and requires five to ten times less sample DNA. In addition, a number of recent upgrades to the 454 Sequencing data analysis software suite offer significant ease-of use improvements which are especially beneficial to biologists without extensive bioinformatics expertise. These upgrades include near “push-button” de novo assembly of small to medium sized genomes, straightforward de novo transcriptome assembly with splice variant detection, and the power to assemble human-sized genomes.

“The introduction of the REM e System increases the overall ease-of-use of the platform,” said Christopher McLeod, President and CEO at 454 Life Sciences. “We believe that this means not only offering automation solutions to streamline the front-end sequencing workflow, but also providing highly sophisticated and intuitively-designed analysis tools on the back-end. Our goal is to offer complete sequencing solutions which enable high quality biological discovery and we continue to offer substantial advantages to this end, particularly in the fields of de novo sequencing, amplicon sequencing, full-length transcriptome analysis, and metagenomics.”

For more information on 454 Sequencing Systems and the new REM e System, visit www.454.com.

Comment

No-one?

Bit more info here:

Comment

I am interested in the REM too.
                      It seems it is going to work for the emPCR part only..why not also the library preparation part?
                      We have a Biomek FX.. I hope they are going to provide the ready to use program for the liquid handler with the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by dottomarco View Post
                        I am interested in the REM too.
                        It seems it is going to work for the emPCR part only..why not also the library preparation part?
                        We have a Biomek FX.. I hope they are going to provide the ready to use program for the liquid handler with the machine.
                        It does work on the FX, the Hamilton STARlet or Star, and the Tecan Genesis RSP 100. Sadly I only have a Biomek 2000 -- the REM e will apparently not work on the 2K. The lack of appropriate robotics discourages me from buying it.

As far as library prep goes--the new rapid library methodologies look like they were designed to be amenable to automation.

Phillip

Comment

Just saw there is another thread about this:
                          Pyrosequencing in picotiter plates, custom arrays for enrichment/decomplexing. (Roche)

We've got a Qiagen BioRobot 3000, not sure if it will work with this.

Price seems to be about 17,000 UK pounds.

Comment

I was quoted ~AU$22K for the REM e with a slight discount for each additional unit if more than 1 are purchased.
                            As for the Biomek 2000 and 3000, the deck height is not optimal and some engineering is needed to design an adaptor to fit the REM e.

Comment

REM e Module = UNSUCCESSFUL so far

Hello,

We recently purchased the REM e Module for our Beckman Biomek FX and have been incredibly unsuccessful so far.

There seems to be a large disconnect between Roche and Beckman over the product as we have learned in struggling with write the methods / create plate definitions / run the instrument. They say that it is simple plug and play but it is not.

I'd appreciate any feedback or information on getting the module operating.

Thanks
                              Last edited by mehtamorphosis; 03-01-2010, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses