No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed on Fastqc-adapter content

Dear all,

i have reads from nextseq 500. I have removed adaptors using fastq-mcf. I run Fastqc for the trimmed reads. I am getting fail result for adapter content,k-mer and per base seqeunce content.
    Whether iam missing any adapters to remove?. I can see the probelm with first 30bp. I have attached adapter seq and screenshopt of fastqc results. Any help will be highly useful to me.

Thanks

Regards
    Manoj
    Attached Files

Is this RNAseq data? The bias seen at the beginning of reads is a common observation because of the "random" primers not being so random (http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...t=4846&page=14) and does not need trimming. A similar bias is also seen with tagmentation reactions and is normal.

Comment

Thanks. It is exon data. Can i remove first 20bp. Is there any other way to remove that bias. i have mapped with bwa and got mapping quality of 60%. So i need to remove this bias in the beginning of the reads.

Comment

Does the mapping quality (60%) refer to the percentage of reads that are mapping? I doubt the low % is because of the first 20 bp but if you want to give it a try you could remove them and see if it improves your mapping.

What kind of reference genome are you mapping to? Is it a reasonably complete one (e.g. human)?

More than likely you may have some other issue (primer dimers etc) that may be preventing reads from mapping.

Comment

Yes. only 60% of paired reads mapped to human genome(hg19). how to identify primer dimer in my reads and remove those from my reads.

Comment

There are two problems here. You have the typical RNA-Seq kmer bias problem at the start of your reads showing up in your Kmer and base composition plots. This isn't something you can fix, or that would be improved by trimming so don't worry about this.

Secondly you have read-through adapter contamination of your reads as shown by the adapter content plot however this is not produced by the normal common Illumina adapter, but comes from the transposase which Illumina uses to fragment their libraries in some of their kits. This means that your data would benefit from being trimmed to remove this and this will help with the mapping efficiency. You'll need to modify the default options for the trimming program you use to specify that it's the transposase sequence (CTGTCTCTTATA) which you want to remove. Pretty much all trimming programs will allow you to specify this sequence. After trimming you should see the adapter content plot be flat in the trimmed data and hopefully your mapping efficiency will go up too.

Comment

Thanks for your help. I have removed the transposase sequence and now i can see the adapter content plot flat. I will map the reads and see the maping quality.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses