Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcriptome assembly using 12GB RAM?

Is it possible to assemble a eukaryotic transcriptome from 50M Illumina paired end reads (101bp) using a machine with only 12 GB of RAM or am I going to have to find a bigger server? I've tried using Trinity, which can't manage it, but is there a more computationaly economical program I could use?

12GB is a tiny amount of RAM for an assembly. I would recommend getting more if you can.
    Otherwise, you could try Oases. I've had cases where assembly requires more RAM on Trinity than on Oases and vice versa.
    Besides that you could try removing poor quality reads, duplicate reads, or overlapping reads. Just be sure that the remaining reads are still paired in the fastq files.

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into more RAM. I was just hopeful as it had managed Newbler 2.5 assemblies of 454 data a year or so ago.

Comment

With that few of reads you *might* be able to manage it will ABySS/Trans-ABySS. I'd suggest doing some quality trimming (Q=20 is usually reasonable) and excluding unique kmers to decrease your memory footprint. But with a modern desktop computer you should really be able to get up to 32 GB of RAM for pretty cheap. If you do this much its worth the extra $100-200.

Comment

With 454, you get longer reads, so assembly is generally a less memory intensive process. Do your Illumina reads overlap? If so, you could try a program to merge them. That would decrease your read number but maintain the information and could reduce the amount of RAM needed.

Comment

Is 64GB enough for illumina human transcriptome assembly with about 100mil 100bp reads?

Comment

Originally posted by ymc View Post
              Is 64GB enough for illumina human transcriptome assembly with about 100mil 100bp reads?
              It could be. Try it and see.

Comment

You could also try limiting over abundant reads and removing very low frquency (often erroneous) reads via the Titus Brown's khmer package. This can greatly reduce the size of your dataset without greatly affecting your assembly

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                  04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses