No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grad Student in way over my head!

Hi,
    I'm new here. Just trying to get my bearings to see what I can find out about using paired end reads to detect structural variation in tumor genomes. I know it can be done... just not sure what path to take and whether or not I can do it myself or if I will need to find someone to collaborate with.

Cheers!
    Kathy

are you referring to human genomes? you need to narrow down little bit your target of interest. its difficult to screen entire genome for structural variants and how many samples are you considering?

Comment

Hi,
      We are interrogating the mouse genome using paired end mapping. We want to find new translocation junctions... so narrowing regions or enriching would prohibit that. We are looking at running a handful of samples, up to 10.
      Are you thinking I am going to have problems with this approach?

Comment

I think your approach is fine if you can afford it. The analysis might be difficult though.

Comment

I saw a talk from a guy from the Sanger who does this routinely in human clinical samples - they say they (pretty much) find all structural variants by fragmenting DNA to 600bp and then running 2 lanes of 50bp PE sequencing on a HiSeq

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
            I think your approach is fine if you can afford it. The analysis might be difficult though.
            I have read that there are programs (such as PEMer) that can help with the analysis... any experience with it? Heard any horror stories?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses