No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLM in DESeq

Hello;

I am using the nbinomFitGLM and nbinomGLMTest in DeSeq, which have worked well. However, I would like to know if both of the factors in my model (in my case genotype and treatment), as well as their interaction, explain a significant proportion of the variance in the model. Does anyone know the commands that would get at this information (i.e the type of output that one could access with summary.glm)?

Many thanks,

Seanna

Hi Seanna,
    Not sure wether this is really answering you questions, but I have fun at the moment playing around with the R-package vegan:
    You can use principal component analysis (e.g. in the rda function in vegan) on you set of DE-genes. Plot the results to see if one of the PCs is somehow corresponding to the original factors you used to identify the DE-genes.
    You can also use rda or cca to constrain a component to one of your factors. This gives you a variance explained by these factors and the variance explained by additional PCs.

Emanuel

P.S. drop me a mail if you want code-examples. I just wanted to post this here as I am not sure, that what I am saying/doing makes sense... Maybe somebody more competent will to come by and debunk it as nonsense ;-)

Comment

For an analysis of deviance, you do a number of fits, progressively including more factors:

Code:
      fit0a <- nbinomGLMTest( cds, count ~ genotype )
      fit0b <- nbinomGLMTest( cds, count ~ treatment )
      fit1 <- nbinomGLMTest( cds, count ~ genotype + treatment )
      fit2 <- nbinomGLMTest( cds, count ~ genotype + treatment + genotype:treatment )
      Now, you can compare to fits in order to see whether the factor in which the two differ is significant. For example, to see whether treatment has an effect, you do
      Code:
      pvalT <- nbinomGLMTest( fit1, fit0a )
      Similarly, comparing fit1 with fit0b shows whether genotype has an effect and to test for the interaction, compare fit2 with fit1.

Remember to adjust for multiple testing. Also be aware that once you have significant interaction, it can become debatable whether the the concept of significant main effect for the genes with interaction is still meaningful.
      Last edited by Simon Anders; 12-10-2011, 01:19 PM. Reason: typo in code

Comment

Did I misunderstand "if both of the factors in my model [...] explain a significant proportion of the variance in the model" ?

I thought Seanna wanted to know how much variance the significant factors (or factor combination) explain in the respective significant subset of the data in total (all genes).

Emanuel
        Last edited by Emanuel Heitlinger; 12-11-2011, 12:07 AM. Reason: unclear writing

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses