No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tophat paired reads mapped to different chromosomes

Hi,

I noticed that tophat some times can map paired end reads to different chromosomes (see one example below). The sequences are undoubtedly of low complexity.

I haven't looked to see how often this may happen (I guess rarely), but I wanted to ask if there is an option to control this behavior in tophat?

Thanks!

HWUSI-EAS787_0001:5:31:1709:802#TTTTTT 113 chr1 23 255 81M 62678829 0 AGATCAACTAAACAGAAAATTAACAAGGAAAAAAAAACAAAACAAAACATGTATCTATAAAGCTCACTAAAGCAAAGCACA GGHEHHHE@HHHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHECGGGGGGGGHGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHFHHHHHHHHHHHDFFGGG NM:i:2
    HWUSI-EAS787_0001:5:31:1709:802#TTTTTT 177 chr12 62678829 255 81M = 23 0 CTTTATAGATACATTTTTTGTTTTGTTTTTTTTTCCTTGTTAATTTTCTGTTTAGTTGATCTATCCATAAGTGTGAGTGGG #ECG@D9./9-@'7+:BCH,CCCB.CEEHHHHHDHDCG:GCE:HHHHFH5HGEB?GAAH9DHHHHHHHFHHHHHHHGHFHG NM:i:1

Hi there -- I have noticed this behavior as well. To handle it, I filtered out the reads from the SAM file using SAMtools and pysam. I have notified Cole Trapnell about this behavior -- perhaps it will be corrected in a future version.

Cheers,
    Matthew

Comment

I found out that there were not many cases like this.

I ended up filtering based on the bitwise flag in the second column of the SAM file simply using awk. Paired end reads mapping to different chromosomes falls in one of the flags that have improper mapped pairs. In addition to mapping to different chromosomes, there are cases where paired end reads are on the same strand, etc. This filtered out less than 10% of the aligned reads. I feel that these reads might be useful in looking for structural changes, but being able to control it is definitely good.

Comment

still having the problem...

I filtered out alignments got from TOPHAT using bit 1 and 2 of the SAM flag (column 2), but am still encountering pairs mapped to different chromosomes. Any other way around this problem without actually checking for column 3?

Sample Output:

7_IR4IbRc7842 147 chr1 6917 255 75M = 7043 0 ACCTGCAAGATTAGGCAGGGACATGTGAGAGGTGACAGGGACCTGCAGGGGCAGCCAACAAGACCTTGTGTGCAC PQQQTNSOPPPTNTUQJR[QLPPPXNQKQNTTSTPTPZ^ZS\YTSTU^baa``baaaaaaab^abbbbbbbbaaa NM:i:0

7_IR4IbRc7842 99 chr9 7043 255 75M = 6917 0 CGGGGCCCAGGTCGGCAATGTACATGAGGTCGTTGGCAATGCCGGGCAGGTCAGGCAGGTAGGATGGAAAATGGA aaaaaaaaaaa\aaaaaaaa^aaa`a```Z^_RZ``^]^]]\][Y`[\^[JXV]XSPR]KP\BBBBBBBBBBBBB NM:i:2

By the way the sam flags translate to:
        99=1100011
        147=10010011
        Last edited by snp_analyser; 06-24-2010, 01:35 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses