No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABI Color Space to Bases

Hi,

I am trying to convert color space sequences generated by ABI SOLiD sequencer to actually bases using the following color space data "matrix":

AA=0
    AC=1
    AG=2
    AT=3
    CC=0
    CA=1
    CT=2
    CG=3
    GG=0
    GT=1
    GA=2
    GC=3
    TT=0
    TG=1
    TC=2
    TA=3

So, this
    >44_35_267_F3
    T20220213203000111000122223221121222

gets converted to

>44_35_267_F3
    CCTCCTGCTTAAAACACCCCAGAGATCTGTCAGAG

I want to do this to be able to use alignment programs that cannot work with ABI color space data. But so far I think I am doing something wrong because my alignment rates are less than 5% using published data (allowing upto 2 mismatches, mouse genome).

Any insights would be really appreciated.

I may just go ahead and use MAQ to do this in color space but I am not sure why this does not work the way I am currently trying to doing it. I am very new to SOLiD data so I maybe missing some piece of information here.

Thanks in advance.

SOLiD Alignment

I have found that it is much better to do any analysis that you can in colorspace before you make the transition to DNA space. We are currently using the SHRiMP (U Toronto) alignment algorithm for fast and accurate alignment in colorspace. But even still 5% seems pretty low for DNA-space alignments of SOLiD data.

Comment

Script available

To answer your original question, just send me an email and I will provide you a python script that will convert .csfasta to .fasta as needed.

Loyal
      lgoff(at)broad.mit.edu

Comment

Lgoff,
        what advantage do you see with SHRiMP compared to the ABI tools? It is said to be very slow?

sgupta,
        Direct conversion is not possible for reads that have any sequencing error since it will change all following bases in base space. Your coversion look correct though, but it is very common that sequences have at least one cs error. SOCS and ZOOM! are supposed to do colorspace alignments, perhaps worth a try.

Comment

SOLiD

Originally, I was very put off by the SOLiD pipeline. It was initially very closed and there wasn't much I could do outside of the genome resequencing for which it was originally designed. The matching is relatively fast with SOLiD, but I do like the k-mer+Smith-waterman approach of SHRiMP. While the SOLiD pipeline has become much more robust. When we received our original machine, with the original cluster, it was underpowered for anything human. We had to re-develop our own pipeline for the specific applications we were using SOLiD for (smRNAs at the time). So we went with SHRiMP, and I have stuck with it since. Since we are lucky enough to be able to parallelize everything very nicely, the speed is not terribly an issue for us. I haven't tried the SOLiD pipeline in the past few months. Am I missing any dramatic improvements?

Comment

Hi Loyal,

Can you share your strategy for parallel processing with SHRiMP?

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
              Can you share your strategy for parallel processing with SHRiMP?
              Parallelizing SHRiMP is as simple as splitting your input fasta/fastq file into smaller ones, running SHRiMP on each, then merging the hits output file.

Nesoni (open source) does this automatically for you: http://www.vicbioinformatics.com/software.nesoni.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by sgupta View Post
                Hi,

I am trying to convert color space sequences generated by ABI SOLiD sequencer to actually bases using the following color space data "matrix":

AA=0
                AC=1
                AG=2
                AT=3
                CC=0
                CA=1
                CT=2
                CG=3
                GG=0
                GT=1
                GA=2
                GC=3
                TT=0
                TG=1
                TC=2
                TA=3

So, this
                >44_35_267_F3
                T20220213203000111000122223221121222

gets converted to

>44_35_267_F3
                CCTCCTGCTTAAAACACCCCAGAGATCTGTCAGAG

I want to do this to be able to use alignment programs that cannot work with ABI color space data. But so far I think I am doing something wrong because my alignment rates are less than 5% using published data (allowing upto 2 mismatches, mouse genome).

Any insights would be really appreciated.

I may just go ahead and use MAQ to do this in color space but I am not sure why this does not work the way I am currently trying to doing it. I am very new to SOLiD data so I maybe missing some piece of information here.

Thanks in advance.
                You can also do the conversion directly on our web server:
                http://genome.ucla.edu/bfast-server/. Click on the left tab that says CS2NT/NT2CS and enjoy!

I would recommend aligning in color space since one color error will cause all bases after the color error to be translated incorrectly. Many great color space aware mapping tools exist.

Nils

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses