No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genome size and corrected genome size

Hi,
    I came across this term "corrected genome size" while reading one paper. Is there any difference between genome size and corrected genome size. If yes, then what needs to be corrected for genome size.

hi priya,
    You haven't given any specific detail. Was the term used in context to NGS analysis? Was it referring to a reference genome or a de novo assembled one?

Comment

Originally posted by amitm View Post
      hi priya,
      You haven't given any specific detail. Was the term used in context to NGS analysis? Was it referring to a reference genome or a de novo assembled one?
      I came across this term in paper describing normalization of chip-seq reads .
      For your better understanding , I attached screenshoot of lines from the paper .
      Attached Files
      Last edited by priya; 03-09-2015, 03:06 AM.

Comment

hi,
        it seems that corrected genome size is the area of the genome covered by all the ChIP-seq reads in that sample.
        So, if sample A has 20M reads and they cover 2Gb of hg19, then corrected genome size is 2Gb.

Comment

hi,
          it seems that corrected genome size is the area of the genome covered by all the ChIP-seq reads in that sample.
          So, if sample A has 20M reads and they cover 2Gb of hg19, then corrected genome size is 2Gb.
          Hi amitm,
          Thank you for your reply!

Can you please clarify me how to calculate the genome coverage from sequencing experiment.
          For sample read coverage, i can easily check the alignment logs (for eg: Bowtie log files), which gives me clearly stat of number of reads mapped per sample.

Comment

hi,
            Once you have done the mapping of reads, use the BAM file obtained to create a BED file.
            Use bedtools -

Then, the coordinates returned would be overlapping. You need to merge them to create "unique" regions/ coordinate intervals.
            Use -

Once there, add up the lengths of all intervals and thats the portion of the genome covered, i.e. corrected genome size

Comment

hi,
              Once you have done the mapping of reads, use the BAM file obtained to create a BED file.
              Use bedtools -

Then, the coordinates returned would be overlapping. You need to merge them to create "unique" regions/ coordinate intervals.
              Use -

Once there, add up the lengths of all intervals and thats the portion of the genome covered, i.e. corrected genome size
              Hi amitm,
              Thanks alot for your clear explaination. I will try it out

Comment

You can use BEDOPS bam2bed to convert from BAM to BED, pipe to bedops to merge overlapping elements, and pipe to bedmap to generate a list of lengths per merged element to sum with awk:

$ bam2bed < foo.bam | bedops --merge - | bedmap --echo-overlap-size - | awk '{s += $1;} END {print s;}' > answer.txt

In this case, bedmap is mapping merged elements against themselves. Merged elements coming out of bedops are guaranteed to be disjoint, so --echo-overlap-size is guaranteed to report the unique length of each merged element.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses