Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXTRACT MAQ sequences?

how to simply extract the sequences of a gene list (~1000) in FASTA format from a sequence database (~400MB) in FASTA format generated by MAQ?

Are you starting with a ~400MB FASTA file, containing ~1000 sequences, and you just want the list of sequence identifiers ("gene names")?

Try something like this at the Unix command line:

grep "^>" my_database.fasta

That string "^>" is a regular expression meaning look for any lines starting ("^") with the greater than symbol.

Comment

Thanks for reply. I actually need the IDs (headers) and sequences in FASTA format.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsequence View Post
        Thanks for reply. I actually need the IDs (headers) and sequences in FASTA format.
        So you have a large FASTA file, and a list of entries you want to extract from it, to give a smaller subset as a new FASTA file? This is a very general problem, and not specific to MAQ at all.

How is your list of identifiers stored? e.g. a text file with one id per line?

I would suggest you write a simple script, e.g. using Perl (perhaps with BioPerl) or Python (perhaps with Biopython), or your preferred script language.

Or, if you are happier just working at the command line, you can probably do this with EMBOSS seqret.

Comment

You can use a couple of the utilities in the BLAST package from NCBI. Take your large FASTA file and create a BLAST database from it using formatdb. Then retrieve just the sequences you want from the BLASTdb using the fastacmd tool.

Code:
          %> formatdb -i <your.FASTA.file> -p F -n <your.blast.db>

%> fastacmd -d <your.blast.db> -i <your.ID.file> > <output.file>
          The first command takes your FASTA file and creates your.blast.db. The -p F tells formatdb that this is a nucleotide database. The second command extracts the FASTA formatted reads from the BLAST db based on the list of of IDs in your.ID.file.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Today, 09:21 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-04-2024, 09:00 AM
          0 responses