No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get the RPKM value of the genes analyzed using DESeq or edgeR

Hi,

I have done analyzation over RNA seq data using edgeR and DESeq to find DE genes (BAM files -> HTSeq -> edgeR and DEseq).
    For some comparisons I need to have the RPKM values related to each gene. What is the best way of getting it?

Thank you in advance.

The version of edgeR on the Bioconductor developmental repository has a function rpkm().

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Smyth View Post
      The version of edgeR on the Bioconductor developmental repository has a function rpkm().
      Is it v3.08?

Comment

Originally posted by ThePresident View Post
        Is it v3.08?
        No, the *development* repository:

Differential expression analysis of RNA-seq and digital gene expression profiles with biological replication. Uses empirical Bayes estimation and exact tests based on the negative binomial distribution. Also useful for differential signal analysis with other types of genome-scale count data.

Comment

Thank you but can I ask how does this function calculate the gene length? Because my problem is that I do not know how to get the gene length to calculate the RPKM values. The gtf file I have used is the hg19 latest version from UCSC genome browser. I can do something like this: endposition - startpositoin+1. But there are different transcripts for each gene. which of these transcripts should be the as the source for the gene length? the average? the longest?

Comment

Im wondering the exact same thing..

Comment

An appropriate measure of gene length must be input to rpkm(). Computing gene length is a job for the read count software rather than for the differential expression software because the appropriate measure of gene length depends on the way the reads have been counted.

I use subread and featureCounts:

featureCounts is available under GNU General Public License as part of the Subread (http://subread.sourceforge.net) or Rsubread (http://www.bioconductor.org) software packages.

to count reads. For most RNA-seq analyses, I count reads that overlap any exon for each gene, so the appropriate measure of gene length is the total exon length. Gene length is returned as part of the output from featureCounts.

Comment

Thanks!

Is there a difference in choosing CPM/logCPM/FPKM to represent gene expression level if I want to correlate the expression of one gene against i.e. body weight?

Or the change in gene expression of one gene against change in body weight etc.

Comment

An appropriate measure of gene length must be input to rpkm(). Computing gene length is a job for the read count software rather than for the differential expression software because the appropriate measure of gene length depends on the way the reads have been counted.

I use subread and featureCounts:

featureCounts is available under GNU General Public License as part of the Subread (http://subread.sourceforge.net) or Rsubread (http://www.bioconductor.org) software packages.

to count reads. For most RNA-seq analyses, I count reads that overlap any exon for each gene, so the appropriate measure of gene length is the total exon length. Gene length is returned as part of the output from featureCounts.
                  I have used HTSeq for counting, I guess I can run featureCounts on one sample, just to get the gene lengths from my UCSC GTF file.

Then import the lengths to edgeR/DEseq fpkm()

Or am I missing some points here?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses