Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing a ddRADSeq study with a large genome

I am designing a study to investigate the population genetic structure of an endangered species. We've decided to go the ddRADSeq route, and I have a few questions for anyone who has experience with this sequencing method and/or population genetics.

My species has a large genome (~2Gb), and because I'm assessing change across the entirety of North America over a span of 100 years, I also have a large sample size (n=480).

In order to maintain a higher level of coverage (25x) while also remaining within the current budget, we can only target 0.25% (5 million bases) of the genome.

I was hoping for some insight on this issue. Although low, is 0.25% (and 5 million bases) of the genome per individual enough to answer questions regarding population genetic structure with that many individuals at that level of coverage? Or would it be prudent to reduce the amount of coverage in order to include more of the genome?

Relevant points: 1. No reference genome for this species, but there is one for a closely related species. 2. Very little is known about this species and no population genetics study has been conducted to compare to.

If I understand you correctly, your samples could be up to 100 years old? Depending on the source of DNA, the DNA maybe sheared and low molecular weight, making it less amenable to ddRAD. If this is the case, one can do an initial ddRAD with high quality DNA samples and develop probes/baits to capture the variable RAD loci. Such target enrichment/sequence capture of the "RADnome" would be amenable for degraded DNA samples. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27416967 for more details on the idea of capturing the RADnome.

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion! The age of a few of my samples is a concern, but they do not make up the bulk of my sample size. This is certainly something I should look into either way.

Do you have any suggestions regarding the balance between sample size, coverage, and percent of genome?

Comment

Unfortunately, I can't really give too much advice about optimizing. Others on the forum have more experience than I do. I've personally subsampled a dataset of 16 individuals, 4 per population, genotyped at 20,000 SNPs down to ~100 random SNPs and have gotten very similar pairwise FST, observed and expected heterozygosity, allelic richness, and STRUCTURE results between the 20,000 SNP and 100 SNP datasets. But results will definitely vary, especially for species of conservation concern.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses