Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast threads always drop to 1

I've seen this issue with every version of blast+ that I've used recently. When I run jobs on a multi-core machine, I specify -num_threads XX to speed things up. Invariably, no matter how many threads I specify, after a short time it seems as though only 1 thread is active on the machine. I've compiled the blast binaries myself using both gcc and the intel icc compilers. When I start the job, top shows blastn/p/x using, say, 800% of processor if I specify 8 threads. After a few minutes this drops to 100%. The job completes in less time than a single-threaded job, but not by much. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks!

One thought that sprung to mind is whether BLAST is I/O limited rather than CPU limited. I guess this might happen if you had a very large database and slow disks. vmstat/iostat might help determine this.

Comment

Here's the official response from NCBI. Only some of the code is multithreaded..

"BLAST search has three distinctive stages: word matching with database scan, ungapped alignment, gapped alignment with traceback.

As I understand it Only the word match stage is multi-threaded. So what you described make sense and it correct."

Comment

That does indeed make sense. Sounds like it might be a bottleneck if your search returns a lot of matches that need aligning.

Comment

blast+ vs older blastall

I've seen the same behavior for blast+ vs the older blastall. In section 4.5 of the NCBI user manual for blast+ they show a performance improvement over blastall for queries of length 10Kb - 10Mb, but for shorter queries my experience is that blast+ is much, much slower. When I run a blastx with 50 DNA queries of average length 1135 against a protein database of 475000 sequences (161M total letters) using 8 cpus, the blastall 2.2.18 code finishes the run in just under 5 hours with cpu usage 764%. The same blastx with blast+ version 2.2.23 is still running after 16 hours and has only finished 14000 queries, and the cpu usage shows 243% for 8 processors. Needless to say, I won't be encouraging anyone with shorter queries to use blast+ until this problem has been fixed.

Comment

Well if all fails here's a simple little script to Multithread any application, I use it whenever I have to use blat or maq which don't have multithread support. It counts how many processes have been started and if there are less than the number of threads (24 in the script below) it starts a new one. All you need to do is cut your reads into many pieces.

for x in *.fa
            do

while [ $(ps -Af | grep "blast" | wc -l) -gt 24 ]
            do
            sleep 5
            done

blast $x &...
            sleep 1

done

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses