Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 run - wrong primer - can it be salvaged?

Hello,
    New here. Hope to find some ideas about something. Just did a 454 run (FLX+) and grabbed the enrichment primer instead of sequencing primer. Result: zero key pass, but images show run was successful. Any way to convince the pipeline to process the wells that did not key pass? Or are those cycles needed for proper calibration? Have looked at this thread, and am wondering if this approach is potentially useful:

Pyrosequencing in picotiter plates, custom arrays for enrichment/decomplexing. (Roche)

Side note: I'm not sure where the enrichment primer binds, so I don't know what was actually sequenced.

Thank you ahead of time,
    James

Could it be that what you see in the images is control beads only?

Comment

Not control beads

No, because the control beads actually worked (they are pre-primed) and they look fine. I'm now worried that since the correct primer was not there, then the first few bases could be non-individual (meaning, it might be TTAAAGGG, or something like that) causing the software to calibrate incorrectly.

Comment

Sorry, your run is lost. The key bases are absolutely required at an early stage of processing.

Okay, maybe there would be a way. This presumes that the enrichment oligo primes somewhere distal to the insert from where the sequence primer anneals. So your sequence would start inside the adapter but would eventually read out into the insert.

You would need to find out where the enrichment oligo actually primes from. Possibly you could page through the flows with gsRunBrowser until you see where they key bases show up. Then you would need to get rid of all the tiffs prior to that point and convince the run processing software to start with later tiffs. Possibly you could just rename the all the later tiffs to appear like they were from earlier cycles.

But my advice is to cut your losses and do the run again.

--
        Phillip

Comment

Hi James,

Could you save the run at the end? I made the same mistake and I would like to see whether I can save at least some data from the run.

I hope you found a solution and a way to recover the sequences that started from the enrichement primer.

Thanks,

Nicolas

Comment

No key = no data. It uses it to normalize the signals so everything is lost.

Comment

Great!
              Thanks for you answer. Roche support told us the same. A thousand bucks to the trash....

Comment

Rescuing the 454 run

You can disable the key check in software, it is even described in the Roche manual. Just edit the XML template file for the processing pipeline. Probably you will need to disable all filters but to get something out it should be acceptable. One could later on re-enable some read trimming/discarding steps.

If you send me some raw reads I believe I would have more clues what went wrong or at least what else you could adjust. And, I think I can do the primer/adapter removal using my own tool so that you can really disable that task in Roche pipeline (the first paragraph).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses