No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumina small RNA ladder and NEB miRNA marker

Hi all,

I have a question about the accuracy of the Illumina SRA ladder (20nt-100nt) that is used when making small RNA libraries.

I have been running the microRNA marker from NEB (#N2102S) next to the Illumina SRA ladder and I am getting some weird results: the 17nt band is migrating slower than (or at least equal to) the 20nt band of the SRA marker, the 21nt band is sitting well into the twenties and the 25nt band of the NEB marker is just shy of 30nt compared to the SRA ladder. The migration pattern is quite reproducible, even after ethanol precipitating the NEB marker and loading it in on the gel using Illumina's own loading buffer.

I think one of these two markers must be migrating at the wrong rate.

Has anyone had a similar experiences with either of these markers?

Cheers

The internets don't seem to have any pictures of what this ladder looks like (Illumina SRA ladder). I have this ladder in my freezer, and I just ran a gel with it, not terribly concerned about needing to find a picture later. This unanswered seqanswers question is the only thing I can find where it is even mentioned. Was it discontinued because it is crap? I looks ok on the gel, but running it next to a smear, I'm not sure if I should scrap this & start again tomorrow with a more legit ladder or what.

Sorry - all I really need to know is what this ladder looks like on a gel. Anyone got an annotated pic?

Thanks,
    M

Comment

The Illumina SRA ladder is a DNA ladder and the microRNA marker from NEB is a RNA ladder. That's the reason why they don't migrate the same way.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
        Yesterday, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses