Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extracting (Slicing) a BAM file

Hi there, i was wondering if someone could help with this. As there are several larger .bam files i wanted to slice out only data that belongs to say chromosome.

I found the following command on 1kGenomes site but it does not work.

samtools view -h ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...e.20101123.bam 17:7512445-7513455

Can someone please help me the correct command syntax, i want to download .bam or .vcf files for full chromosomes such as 1,2 or 12 etc without specifying the genomic coordinates.

Thanks in advance.

Ashwin

The syntax looks okay. How were the chromosomes labeled in the reference fasta file? Is it "chr17" or just "17"?

Also, is samtools capable of reading a BAM file remotely? Should you download it first?

What errors are being returned by the program when you try to execute it?

Comment

I was trying to follow as show on this site.

1000genomes.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, 1000genomes.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

The program does not generate any errors as such, just the output file shows junk.

Any ideas?

Comment

hi,

I just wanted to try it out but it seems that most of the HG... files were changed today. So I looked for another folder containing any BAM-files. Executing

samtools view ftp://ftp.1000genomes.ebi.ac.uk/vol1...d.20100311.bam 1:470260-471000 > test.sam

everything worked correctly (also "view -h"). So your command should be ok but the data seems to be corrupt (?)

cheers

Comment

when i was looking at the screen, at the output, it showed a lot of error verbiage. so i wasnt sure altogether what was going on. I will give your suggested command a try and update this forum as well.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses