No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq alignment issue

Hello all,

I have been given paired-end RNA-Seq files to align against a couple of references. I used Bowtie2 to do the job. The alignment results were very low in most of the cases (less than 5% overall alignment rate).Now, we are thinking this might be caused by either contamination or mix up samples.

Any suggestion what to do in such case?
    Thank you in advance

Bioinformatically, there's nothing you can do, other than help the people to know what went wrong.

For starters, spot-check some random high quality reads, BLAST them against nr, see if you can determine what they are.

Try aligning to the whole genome to see how much of the library was genomic.

See if there are certain highly repetitive reads (like Illumina adapters) taking up a lot of reads.

And of course see if the run overall was of good enough quality for you to believe that your reads are accurate.

Comment

Hi Amative,

what kind of reference did you provide? Bowtie2 is not splicing aware, so it is not able to deal with reads spanning splice junctions. Therefore, it can only be used to align against the transcriptome (for RNAseq). This is why TopHat was created to align against the whole genome.

Regards

Comment

Thanks swbarnes2 & rboettcher,

@swbarnes2
        • I tried to blast the first ten reads from one of the samples I have, blast results were not that good. I tried to align against the available sequences of the two of the top blast hits. Same low alignment rate.
        • I checked for adapters, sequences are already trimmed.

@rboettcher
        Yes, I am aligning against the transcriptome sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Amative View Post
          I tried to blast the first ten reads from one of the samples I have, blast results were not that good.
          You probably want to go into the file some ways. With illumina atleast the first hundred (or more) sequences may not represent the best of the lot since they are generally from the edge of the flowcell/start of the lane.

You may also want to use this tool to do some screening: http://www.bioinformatics.babraham.a.../fastq_screen/

Comment

Thanks GenoMax, for the suggestion I am working on it.

I like the fastq_screen It saves some time!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses