No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre processing of Illumina data

Hi all!

Though there have been many similar posts, but to have an updated (and more recent) thought, hence I am posting it again.

I have some Illumina GAIIX paired end data in two separate files (with their suffix as _1 and _2). Before putting them for assembly, I need to perform certain pre processing of these file to alleviate its quality (probably FASTQ MASKER by quality control on GLAXY web tools). My query is " Should I join these paired end data first and then go on with the quality treatments OR should I just perform the quality treatment and then join the two files.

Thanks in advance
    Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Originally posted by tusharbiot View Post
    My query is " Should I join these paired end data first and then go on with the quality treatments OR should I just perform the quality treatment and then join the two files.
    what do you mean when you say, "join"?

Comment

With join I meant should I combine the two files into one (basically the tool I am using just concatenates the two sequences from a single locus/index).

Comment

I know I didn't combine them during trimming based on qual...

Comment

Originally posted by faozhi View Post
          I know I didn't combine them during trimming based on qual...
          faozhi, so that would mean you combined them after the quality screening.

Comment

Originally posted by tusharbiot View Post
            Hi all!

Though there have been many similar posts, but to have an updated (and more recent) thought, hence I am posting it again.

I have some Illumina GAIIX paired end data in two separate files (with their suffix as _1 and _2). Before putting them for assembly, I need to perform certain pre processing of these file to alleviate its quality (probably FASTQ MASKER by quality control on GLAXY web tools). My query is " Should I join these paired end data first and then go on with the quality treatments OR should I just perform the quality treatment and then join the two files.

Thanks in advance
            Any help will be deeply appreciated.
            It actually makes no difference at all, but you don't want to create extra work for yourself. With that in mind, you should probably trim the files separately, that way it will be easy to identify which read pairs were retained after the trimming and which reads should be treated as single-end.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses