Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else had enough of Life Technologies?

I need to know if anyone else out there is as annoyed as I am about the whole 300/400 bp sequencing/OneTouch 2 fiasco?

We were led to believe that we would be able to do 300/400 bp sequencing when we bought a PGM 9 months ago. Now we find out that in order to do 400 bp sequencing we will need to trade in our OneTouch instrument and buy a OneTouch 2 ($5K-$10K depending on when you buy it).

But as if that weren't bad enough ..... Life Technologies released a 300 bp sequencing kit about 2-3 months ago. 300 bp sequencing didn't require a OneTouch 2 so we were able to do it on our OneTouch 1. We bought the kit and started doing the 300 bp sequencing......then......as soon as they announce that a OneTouch 2 is needed for 400 bp sequencing they discontinue the 300 bp sequencing kit. This essentially forces anyone who wants to do longer reads into buying a OneTouch 2.

Seriously am I the only one out there who thinks this is a despicable business practice? Life Technologies should be ashamed of themselves. If we could go back in time 10 months we would absolutely NOT have bought a PGM. Unfortunately we are locked in now and that seems to be Life Technologies business model. Get you so far in that there is no turning back and you have to fork out the extra cash. Nice one.

Thoughts?

Sorry to hear that. That's pretty much par for the course for this industry. Illumina discontinued many of its microarray chips to force you upgrade to their newer chip scanners. Illumina did give you almost a whole year's worth of advance notice though.

Comment

Welcome to Invitrogen...

Comment

I use the PGM and you have no idea how many conversations I have had with people concerning this exact same issue. They certainly seem to enjoy the bait and switch

Now if only I didn't like their enzymes so much.....

I don't think Illumina is much better though. It's the industry. They want to move fast because they fear being left behind. They just don't understand that they shouldn't abandon products when bringing out new ones. It just makes everyone angry and bitter, especially if that was not the deal hinted at by the sales force to make you buy the initial product in the first place.

Comment

Try hitting them up for a trade-in on your one-touch.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses