Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much phiX to spike in for ddRADseq library on HiSeq?

Our lab is preparing for a large scale ddRADseq project (~3000 samples). In doing the calculations for how many lanes of sequencing we will need to achieve our desired depth of coverage I am finding it difficult to get a consensus answer as to amount of PhiX spiked into a HiSeq lane.

When we spoke with Illumina directly, they recommended we spike 10% PhiX into our final libraries before sequencing. They also said that in the past more PhiX was needed for the older software to correctly identify clusters. When we talked to a sequencing provider they stated that they spike in 30% PhiX for ddRADseq libraries. This seems like a big discrepancy to me.

For folks with recent ddRAD experience, how much PhiX did you spike into your library?

Which HiSeq model are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by luc View Post
      Which HiSeq model are you running?
      Originally we thought the HiSeq4000 would offer us the most reads for the money. However the provider that we talked to said that after spiking in the PhiX we could expect 180-200 million reads on the HiSeq4000 and 140-150 million reads on the HiSeq2500. This makes it seem like the 2500 is a better choice for our ddRAD libraries. Does this sound reasonable to you?

Comment

We typically run ~10% phiX for ddRAD libraries on our HiSeq2500 running v4 chemistry, and they've been running fine. We typically see ~91% PF (%) at ~850 K/mm2 density, ~236 M Reads, ~215 M Reads PF, ~9% alignment to phiX (these are averages from the last three libraries/lanes we've run). I'm sure all ddRAD libraries are not created equal, though. These are from a group with considerable experience making their libraries.

Comment

We spike -in 20% PhiX on the HS4000.

Comment

I would have thought that having a patterned flowcell would reduce the need for PhiX to discriminate clusters since there should be fewer "almost merged" clusters. Any ideas why there might be more PhiX needed?
            Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

Cluster identification is obviously not the problem?
              I assume Illumina just ported the X10 software (designed for genomic samples only). The software is one generation behind the one of the Hiseq 2500 and the Miseq and I guess sensitive to overall fluorescence intensity changes?

Originally posted by SNPsaurus View Post
              I would have thought that having a patterned flowcell would reduce the need for PhiX to discriminate clusters since there should be fewer "almost merged" clusters. Any ideas why there might be more PhiX needed?

Comment

You should not need 30% PhiX as long as the flow-cell is not being overclustered and your barcodes have good nucleotide diversity. Our sequencing facility usually uses 10% PhiX. It has always worked for us except on one occasion where we submitted samples with very low-diversity barcodes, so I would definitely avoid that. Otherwise, 30% sounds excessive and you might lose on coverage. Do you know if the flow-cells they will be using are patterned?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses