No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target enrichment performance

Dear All,

I would like to announce the inception of NGSrich, a software for evaluation of target enrichment performance in Illumina next-generation sequencing. An early release of the code has been uploaded to SourceForge at

but we're still working on a Java version. Regards,

Peter Frommolt
    University of Cologne

Java version of NGSrich

Dear All,

we have now prepared a fully-functional Java version of NGSrich which allows you to do a quick and detailed performance check for your target-enriched resequencing projects. We are using this as part of an exome analysis pipeline in our medium-sized genome center.

The reports can be integrated into a webserver in a very efficient and user-friendly way. You should definitely download this and give it a try!

Best,
    Peter and Ali

Comment

Dear Peter and Ali,
      Your tool sounds great! I just have a question about its usage.
      I get an error when trying it out, but this might be because I probably specified the wrong file for the parameter -a or -g. What kind of file is the "genome annotation" supposed to be and where can I get it? I specified the genome as a fasta file, but I am pretty sure that's not what is needed, right?
      Can't wait to get this working, thanks for your help!

Comment

The genome annotation parameter is not supposed to be a file. You just need to specify the UCSC version number, e.g. 'hg19' and the software will download the correct annotation from the internet. Are you using data from a human sample?

Best,
        Peter

Comment

Yes, my data are from human samples. But I get the following error:
          =======================1=======================
          >>> STEP 1: reducing files

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: Array index out of range: 3
          at java.util.Vector.get(Vector.java:721)
          at adapter.Adapter.field(Adapter.java:90)
          at adapter.readAdapter.SamAdapter.pos(SamAdapter.java:184)
          at adapter.readAdapter.SamAdapter.adapt(SamAdapter.java:131)
          at Enrichment.reduceFiles(Enrichment.java:177)
          at NGSrich.main(NGSrich.java:91)

Comment

Okay, which syntax are you using for the analysis? Is your read alignment file in SAM format?

Regards, Peter

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!
              I am using the following syntax:
              java NGSrich -r /path/to/file.sam -a hg18 -T /path/to/temp_folder -t /path/to/sure_select_targets.bed
              The sam file was generated with bwa and I am in the bin folder of NGSrich.
              Regards,
              BP

Comment

Do you have a header section in your SAM file? Could you please try whether it works after removal of those lines?

Best,
                Peter

Comment

what is the difference between -a and -g options for the annotation?

And where does the annotation come from, the UCSC track?

I ask because I have UCSC track for hg18 already downloaded.

Thanks for sharing your program. I am looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

The -a and -g flags are equivalent, so you can choose any one of these. The annotation comes from the UCSC track but the download usually finishes within seconds, so you do not need to worry about this.

Comment

Originally posted by pfrommolt View Post
                      The -a and -g flags are equivalent, so you can choose any one of these. The annotation comes from the UCSC track but the download usually finishes within seconds, so you do not need to worry about this.

It is a shame that I am behind a firewall - would it be possible to have the UCSC track file stored locally and accessed by NGSrich instead of downloaded?

Comment

I tried it again after removing the header of my samfile and the previous error is gone, but now I get the following:

=======================1=======================
                        >>> STEP 1: reducing files

READS FILE:
                        /home/bpetersen/exome_9_A0019.sam was reduced to /home/bpetersen/temp/1305783668487/NGSrich_exome_9_A0019_cl008.27100.txt
                        Reduced file /home/bpetersen/temp/1305783668487/NGSrich_exome_9_A0019_cl008.27100.txt sorted

GENOME ANNOTATION FILE:
                        /home/bpetersen/temp/1305783668487/refGene.genome reduced to /home/bpetersen/temp/1305783668487/NGSrich_genome_cl008.27100.txt

TARGET REGIONS FILE:
                        /home/bpetersen/temp/1305783668487/TruSeq_exome_targeted_regions.converted.hg18.target reduced to /home/bpetersen/temp/1305783668487/NGSrich_target_cl008.27100.txt
                        Reduced file /home/bpetersen/temp/1305783668487/NGSrich_target_cl008.27100.txt sorted

STEP 1 successfully completed

=====================2=========================
                        >>> STEP 2: computing target coverage data

Starting computing target coverage files.
                        Mean target coverage data computed (/home/bpetersen/NGSricCreating coverage barplot for chr21 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr21_random ...
                        HTML FILE /home/bpetersen/NGSrich_test/exome_9_A0019_enrichment.html not founddy.Creating coverage barplot for chr21 ...
                        Coverage summary computed (/hCreating coverage barplot for chr2 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr20 ...
                        STEP 3 unsuccessfulting coverage barplot for chr19 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr2 ...
                        Creating coverage barplot for chr18 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr19 ... Creating coverage barplot for chr17_random ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr18 .=====================4========================= Creating coverage barplot for chr17 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr17_random ...
                        >>> STEP 4: computing targets wiggle data====== Creating coverage barplot for chr16 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr17 ...
                        >>> STEP 3: evaluating enrichment files Creating coverage barplot for chr15 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr16 ...
                        Start computing target-based wiggle data Creating coverage barplot for chr14 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr15 ...
                        Details File Name: /home/bpetersen/temp/1305783668487/coverage_cl008.27100.txtlot for chr13 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr14 ...
                        Output Dir: /home/bpetersen/NGSrich_test/data xml Creating coverage barplot for chr12 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr13 ...
                        End of computing target-based wiggle datang coverage barplot for chr11 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr12 ...
                        XML summary file: /hCreating coverage barplot for chr10 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr11 ...
                        STEP 4 successfully completed.t for chr1 ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr10 ...
                        Preparing coverage barplots ... ready.Creating coverage barplot for chr1 ...
                        =====================5=========================overage barplots ...
                        >>> STEP 5: computing overall wiggle dataage pieplot ...
                        Reading XML file ... ready.Reading BED file ...
                        Start computing overall wiggle data
                        Align File Name: /home/bpetersen/temp/1305783668487/NGSrich_exome_9_A0019_cl008.27100.txt
                        Output Dir: /home/bpetersen/NGSrich_test/data
                        /home/bpetersen/NGSrich_test/exome_9_A0019_enrichment.wignot found

STEP 5 unsuccessful

===============================================

The plots were successfully generated but not the html file.
                        Any idea why this might be?
                        I think it would be great if you could get NGSrich to work with samfiles with header or even better with bamfiles, is this planned anytime soon?
                        Last edited by bpetersen; 05-18-2011, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Yes, we have already prepared a version which can handle the header section adequately. This is coming very soon.

Did your run create a BED and XML file in the 'data' directory? If so, could you email these to my address given in the README file?

Does the SureSelect target file have more than one BED track? You should provide a BED file with only one track.

Regards,
                          Peter

Comment

Version 0.4.2 uploaded to SourceForge!

Recent changes:
                            -> SAM header sections are skipped
                            -> unassembled contigs with less than 3 genes are ignored
                            -> Bug in the computation of coverage statistics was removed

Comment

Hi,

Could you add a feature to allow the user to point to an annotation file instead of download it everytime?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses