Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NextGenSeq, I just received the following private message (and several emails) from Ion Torrent, so I had to take down the user protocols you just posted, sincerest apologies to you and anyone else who might be interested in them.

Originally posted by Ion Torrent
    Dear Eric,

We request that the following post be removed:

<url removed>

Ion Torrent is still in a rapid growth phase, and we expect our protocols to be continued to be enhanced in the coming weeks/months. We want to avoid confusion in the market place by having this exist as a permanent link on an external website.

Secondarily, posting of protocols on other websites is a direct violation of our terms and conditions.

Thank you for your help,
    Ion Torrent

Comment

Wow, that was fast.

I guess they are concerned about other vendors making kits for their system.

Comment

Like some big biotech couldn't get the protocols through back channels. What a jerk move.

Comment

That limits the potential participants of the "grand challenge" to PGM users if you have no idea the protocols, data, etc. that you are working to improve. They need to post the baseline.

Comment

Loving the lively discussion and input!

To clarify, all current PGM users, developers and Grand Challenge participants are able to access through the IonCommunity, every protocol, user guide, data set, and application note that we have released. The amount of user-generated content and user-inspired discussion threads on the Community also continues to grow. We really encourage users to check it out.

If you would like more details about the technology and our workflow, but don't fit the above bill, there are still several options for you to learn more about Ion:

1) Register for the IonCommunity, which provides a deeper level of content (e.g., videos, info on the Grand Challenges, and upcoming events and webinars) than what is available on our website

2) Contact your local Life Technology/Ion Torrent representative who will be more than happy to speak with you and find a way to get you the information/data you need

We've been scratching at being more open to the broader community (i.e., making the TMAP aligner source code available, disclosing our entire 2011 product roadmap with 316/318/OneTouch, etc.). Clearly, we can do better by all of you, and welcome the swift kick in the a$$ to get us there even faster.

-The Ion Torrent Team

Comment

Originally posted by epistatic View Post
              That limits the potential participants of the "grand challenge" to PGM users if you have no idea the protocols, data, etc. that you are working to improve. They need to post the baseline.
              Well, they have through the website. To actually enter any of the challenges involving experiments (not the pure software one), you do actually have to own a PGM. Obviously, if you can get to the protocols, you could try experimenting with the protocol without having a PGM (or borrowing access to a friend's).

Of course, if you thought you had a good shot at $1M, you'd invest $75K to win it!

Comment

Originally posted by IonTorrent View Post
                Loving the lively discussion and input!

To clarify, all current PGM users, developers and Grand Challenge participants are able to access through the IonCommunity, every protocol, user guide, data set, and application note that we have released. The amount of user-generated content and user-inspired discussion threads on the Community also continues to grow. We really encourage users to check it out.

If you would like more details about the technology and our workflow, but don't fit the above bill, there are still several options for you to learn more about Ion:

1) Register for the IonCommunity, which provides a deeper level of content (e.g., videos, info on the Grand Challenges, and upcoming events and webinars) than what is available on our website

2) Contact your local Life Technology/Ion Torrent representative who will be more than happy to speak with you and find a way to get you the information/data you need

We've been scratching at being more open to the broader community (i.e., making the TMAP aligner source code available, disclosing our entire 2011 product roadmap with 316/318/OneTouch, etc.). Clearly, we can do better by all of you, and welcome the swift kick in the a$$ to get us there even faster.

-The Ion Torrent Team
                Releasing Paired End Protocols and adaptor sequences would be not only stimulating and useful for the Ion community, it would encourage transparency and promote robust protocol development, for PhD students, post-docs and buyers alike. A grand challenge!

,:0)

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
                  Well, they have through the website. To actually enter any of the challenges involving experiments (not the pure software one), you do actually have to own a PGM. Obviously, if you can get to the protocols, you could try experimenting with the protocol without having a PGM (or borrowing access to a friend's).

Of course, if you thought you had a good shot at $1M, you'd invest $75K to win it!
                  But how do you realize if you have a good shot at winning, if for instance, you don't have access to the protocols etc! 75K is a tough ticket if you want to have a stab!

Comment

Originally posted by DICER View Post
                    But how do you realize if you have a good shot at winning, if for instance, you don't have access to the protocols etc! 75K is a tough ticket if you want to have a stab!

YUP! I've moaned about this repeatedly -- I strongly believe Ion is hurting themselves by their various levels of hiding information from prospective customers and collaborators, but they've never budged.

Comment

I have a question about the protocol... I was using the Ion Xpress Library kit and was getting no concentration after the amplification step (sample was in water, so no EDTA was present). I had plenty before this step in the region for the size select, so I am not sure why the concentration goes down to nothing. The Ion Xpress Plus Library Prep kit is on back-order... I have heard that this will resolve the issue of no concentration, but what killed my concentration in the first place?

Comment

you probably accidentally lost your sample in one of the cleanup steps.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                        • seqadmin
                          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        0 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post seqadmin  
                        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                        0 responses