Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
    Our instrument was upgraded a month ago and I just did our first 16S amplicon sequence run and the data was fine (greater than 90% over Q30).

You must be overloading. We run 5pM and 30% PhiX.
    That sounds very promising. What setup do you use? How many different primers? Was this a 2x250bp run? Could you post a picture of your %base graph?

Comment

5.5 million reads passing filter. I'll try to post a pic.

Comment

Hi,
        I am new using Illumina MiSeq. Does anybody have any suggestion on which region of the 16S rRNA gene to use for the new chemistry that amplifies 2x250bp? I was hoping to get an overlap of around 50bp.
        Thanks in advance.

Comment

Just replied to this in http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16812

Comment

Originally posted by mcnelson.phd View Post
            Hi vs92,

We've been playing around with both the 16S V4 protocol by Caporaso et al. as well as an expanded V4/5 version using a pseudo 2x250 setup for a few months now.
            mcnelson.phd,

Which set of primers are using for this region and what is the amplicon size? How many bp overlap when you use the 2X250 setup?

Many thanks.

Comment

I'm in the process of writing up a manuscript on our use of the v4v5 primers so I can't say a lot about it right now, but we used established primers for 454 amplicons and retro-fit them into the Illumina format. The full size of the amplicon is ~535bp with the adapters included, and the overlap that we get is ~100 bp.

Sorry that I can't really comment more on them.

Comment

vs92 - e-mail if you have time

Hi vs92, please e-mail me at [email protected]

I have a solution to your MiSeq question.

Thanks

Comment

I'm in the process of writing up a manuscript on our use of the v4v5 primers so I can't say a lot about it right now, but we used established primers for 454 amplicons and retro-fit them into the Illumina format. The full size of the amplicon is ~535bp with the adapters included, and the overlap that we get is ~100 bp.

Hi:

Is your manuscript closer to publication? I'm looking at getting some primers made up for diversity studies for a new MiSeq that will be arriving soon. I'd rather not start from scratch. Did you use the staggered bases to avoid using PhiX?

Any help appreciated. you can e-mail forsterr at agr dot gc dot ca

Comment

Hi again,
                    We've decided to go with the V3-V4 region and was hoping to use my forward and reverse primers as my sequencing primers and the reverse compliment of the reverse primer as my index primer. The problem I just found during a real time PCR to determine sequencing primer efficiency is that the primers will not bind their targets efficiently at the required temperature (65oC).
                    We can easily increase the length of the sequencing primers going back into the Illumina adapters, but I am afraid that when I increase the length of the index primer I will end up out of the conservative region. I've tried including several degeneracies, but the lowest Tm is never higher than 65oC.
                    the reverse primer I choose is the S-D-Bact-0785-a-A-21: 5′-GACTACHVGGGTATCTAATCC-3

I appreciate any ideas or comments.

Marcio.

Comment

You could try using modified oligos, such as by introducing LNA bases, which should make it anneal at a lower temperature.

Comment

Hello Marcio. We are also using that reverse primer but are running into some issues with concatamers or primer dimers. Are you experiencing similar issues?

Joe

Comment

Hi Joe,
                          I haven't gotten any results yet because we are having some technical issues with our MiSeq, so I can not comment on your question yet. However, I had a lot problems with short reads in the past when I was using 454 to sequence 16S amplicons that had the same forward primer. We even had to change our purification protocol as recommended by the technical bulletim 2011-007 (January 2012), but I ended up skipping the step in which you replace the AMPure buffer by sizing solution (or it would yield no DNA after purification).
                          Marcio.

Comment

We have performed an experiment in which have obtained about 5KK reads PF of 16S.
                            Strategy:
                            Caporaso primers with CS1-CS2 tails for a second PCR for indexing
                            Loaded at 10 pM with 50% Phix
                            Sequencing (2x151) with a mixed custom-Truseq primers for read1 and read2
                            CS1 reverse primer for index read
                            RESULTS:
                            About 11M raw clusters, more than 87% PF, more than 87% >Q30
                            51% of clusters PF correspond to 16S.
                            Very, very good quality of read1, slightly badder quality in read 2 mainly after about 120 cycle.

Comment

I wanted to ask McNelson.Phd if he has now published this work. If so, please give a link to the paper. I am trying to work out a project using 16s rRNA gene now and need to keep the costs low. We are just starting and have very little help from anyone. The slightly more experienced lab that was advising us just found out their materials were not adequate for use with Miseq when they submitted them.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
                              0 responses