Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • biobee07
    Junior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 3

    #1

    Interpreting MAPQ values

    I need some help understanding the SAM format for 454 sequencing alignment reads. In the MAPQ field I have values like 37,0,25,23,20,18. How do I interpret these values in terms of mapping quality of my reads?

    Thanks
    biobee
  • nilshomer
    Nils Homer
    • Nov 2008
    • 1283

    #2
    Try googling for "mapping quality". The first link works for me...

    Comment

    • biobee07
      Junior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 3

      #3
      Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
      Try googling for "mapping quality". The first link works for me...
      Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
      Try googling for "mapping quality". The first link works for me...
      Thanks a lot your reply. I followed your suggestion and the first hit I got was :http://maq.sourceforge.net/qual.shtml

      I hope this is the one you were alluding to.
      The gives a pretty neat explanation of MAPQ in SAM format. Based on my understanding of the webpage, I can conclude that:

      When I have a MAPQ =0 ; this means that the read maps to two or more places with equal score

      when I have a MAPQ >= 30 then I have a good quality mapping. However I am still not clear what values of 25,23,20,18 indicates in terms of the mapping quality?

      Comment

      • nilshomer
        Nils Homer
        • Nov 2008
        • 1283

        #4
        Do you mean 25, 23, 20, and 18 individually? Use the calculation from the web page to calculate the probability of mismapping. A q value of 20 means that there is a 1/100 chance of it being mapped incorrectly.

        Comment

        • Simon Anders
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 995

          #5
          Do you mean you have not just one number per line but a comma-separated list of values in the MAPQ field of your SAM file? That would be strange indeed.

          Comment

          • ralind
            Junior Member
            • Jan 2011
            • 1

            #6
            Have a look at the SAM specifications (same link as above). Each line in the SAM file represents one mapping with one unique quality.

            Multiple mappings per read are represented by multiple lines (unless you run a best-match or random-match strategy), ideally with MAPQ=0 but there are some aligners out there that assign MAPQ scores even for multiple mappings, hence they may have different scores.

            [edit: misread the last post, thought it was from biobee, sorry about that]
            If you actually get multiple mapq values per line, i'd love to know which aligner you are using.
            Last edited by ralind; 02-18-2011, 02:06 AM. Reason: misread last post

            Comment

            • whataBamBam
              Member
              • May 2013
              • 27

              #7
              Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
              Try googling for "mapping quality". The first link works for me...
              This is the first link... now

              Comment

              Latest Articles

              Collapse

              • SEQadmin2
                New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
                by SEQadmin2


                Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

                We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
                ...
                Today, 10:25 AM
              • SEQadmin2
                How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
                by SEQadmin2




                The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

                This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
                09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

              ad_right_rmr

              Collapse

              News

              Collapse

              Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
              0 responses
              27 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
              0 responses
              24 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post SEQadmin2  
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
              1 response
              46 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
              1 response
              55 views
              0 reactions
              Last Post pekgio
              by pekgio
               
              Working...