Unconfigured Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Marius
    8armed
    • Dec 2010
    • 30

    #1

    Filtering out individual genotype calls with too HIGH read depth from VCF

    I have VCF files generated from GATK's HaplotypeCaller. One file per each of 20 individuals. These VCF files will be combined into a multi-sample gVCF for joint genotyping using GenotypeGVCFs (GATK), producing a vcf.gz file including all variable positions across the individuals.

    I would like to set a filter to remove certain variants. The tricky part is that this filter is not a global filter, meaning, the filtering threshold should be set differently for each individual. Specifically, I'm looking to exclude any genotype (variant) call *within an individual* that has more than 4-times the average read depth of *that individual*.

    How do I achieve such filtering? Can this be done on the combined vcf-file (or even the variants vcf file), or do I have to do such filtering before combining individual VCF files into one?
    And, how do I implement this filter? I cannot think of any tool that allows me to filter out positions with a too high read depth, and particularly not if the respective threshold depends on the genome-wide average.

    Thank you for your help!
  • SNPsaurus
    Registered Vendor
    • May 2013
    • 525

    #2
    That would require some scripting, I think. vcftools can filter for sites within a range of read depth, so you could:
    extract one individual with vcftools --indv
    find the mean depth with vcftools --depth
    filter that individual with --max-meanDP

    but at that point I would just parse the vcf with a scripting language.
    Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

    Comment

    Latest Articles

    Collapse

    • SEQadmin2
      New Genomics Technologies Take Aim at Long-Standing Limits
      by SEQadmin2


      Researchers using sequencing and genomics tools often have to make trade-offs. They can choose between speed or scale, short reads or long-range information, or targeted panels or a view of the whole transcriptome. New technologies that have been released this year are built to address those tough choices.

      We asked six companies the same four questions to learn about their latest products. The new technologies bring a lot to the table, including rethinking sequencing
      ...
      Yesterday, 10:25 AM
    • SEQadmin2
      How Immunogenomics Decodes Immunity’s Genetic Blueprint
      by SEQadmin2




      The immune system’s power comes from its genetic diversity, allowing myriad threats to be neutralized through first recognizing foreign antigens. That diversity is also what makes the immune system so difficult to study. Recent advances in sequencing technology and computational biology, however, are giving researchers new tools to understand immune responses and immune-related diseases in greater detail.

      This convergence of genetics, immunology, and computation...
      09-01-2026, 05:41 AM

    ad_right_rmr

    Collapse

    News

    Collapse

    Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-25-2026, 09:06 AM
    0 responses
    28 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-23-2026, 11:05 AM
    0 responses
    24 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post SEQadmin2  
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-18-2026, 11:37 AM
    1 response
    46 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post pekgio
    by pekgio
     
    Started by SEQadmin2, 09-16-2026, 10:23 AM
    1 response
    55 views
    0 reactions
    Last Post pekgio
    by pekgio
     
    Working...