SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Personalized Genomics > Personalized Genomics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Personalized Genomics Challenges: Trust Google with my Genome? ECO Personalized Genomics 2 10-25-2013 10:46 AM
PubMed: Medicine. Personalized cancer diagnostics. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-26-2012 11:50 PM
PubMed: SNiPlay: a web-based tool for detection, management and analysis of SNPs. App Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 05-08-2011 02:42 AM
NGS App-Enabling Up-Front Molecular Biology BClan13 Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 05-26-2010 11:24 AM
deCODE Genetics Announces Personalized Genomics Service ECO Personalized Genomics 0 11-16-2007 08:22 AM

Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
bioinfosm

Default SmartPhone APP for personalized genome

Just noticed that EdgeBio released their iTunes app today with twitter, facebook and social features .. any others already out there?

I remember Illumina's Bentley talking about the iPhone app, but have not seen much happening after that. Now that we have the USB sequencing, one can imagine having apps to visualize the data, 23andme type interfaces..

Curious to know if others have info.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
masonuhlrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioinfosm View Post
Just noticed that EdgeBio released their iTunes app today with twitter, facebook and social features .. any others already out there?

I remember Illumina's Bentley talking about the iPhone app, but have not seen much happening after that. Now that we have the USB sequencing, one can imagine having apps to visualize the data, 23andme type interfaces..

Curious to know if others have info.
Anyone have any experience with it now that its been out for a couple of months? Do you think it would integrate with my Home Voip system like the magic jack app does?

Thanks in advance,

Mason Uhlrich
Hosted Voip and Digital PBX Engineer

Last edited by masonuhlrich; 06-14-2012 at 12:41 PM.
masonuhlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

I am curious what this app does? What kinds of personal genomics can you do on a cell phone?
adaptivegenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
ymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericforms View Post
I am curious what this app does? What kinds of personal genomics can you do on a cell phone?
A cell phone that can browse the web is good enough for personal genomics for lay people. On the other hand, I think you can run bwa on one 50x genome as long as you keep your phone plugged.
ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
KevinLam

saw a presentation from Bioteam/ british telecom
so they managed to do a POC with Siri voice activated questions that starts cloud analysis of your data ...
admittedly the potential for real time analytics (barring seq time) is there ... but I actually feel that personalised genomics without the proper consult of a geneticist / physician is actually dangerous ....
KevinLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Richard Finney

but I actually feel that personalised genomics without the proper consult of a geneticist / physician is actually dangerous ....

Really? I think the benefits outweigh the risks. On balance, having private access to your own genome without first having a doctor look at it might have some serious upside. Having a predisposition to a disease may lead people to making positive changes in their lives and better self monitoring.

I don't think a future home genome kit would be any different ethically than a home pregnancy test.

Regardless, people should have a right to do what they want with assays of their own genomes. This includes having unregulated access to it and the right to donate it to the public domain. If enough brave people do this we may get some earlier and better treatments for some of the devastating diseases.

I understand why some say it's dangerous; I just don't think the evidence is there though.
Richard Finney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #7
jagopete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinLam View Post
saw a presentation from Bioteam/ british telecom
so they managed to do a POC with Siri voice activated questions that starts cloud analysis of your data ...
admittedly the potential for real time analytics (barring seq time) is there ... but I actually feel that personalised genomics without the proper consult of a geneticist / physician is actually dangerous
________

Unbelievable what one is able to do these days. I am a bit "old school" and am always fascinated with the new technology. I still am trying to get a grasp on the whole "suri" service as well as the Voip Phone Service and Voip Service Providers. We are so lucky to have the technology that we do. Who would have ever imagined that we would be where we are today?! Gotta love it!

Last edited by jagopete; 07-21-2012 at 07:20 AM.
jagopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
adaptivegenome
Super Moderator

Everyone focuses on the negative stuff in the genome. What about the good news? Finding out that most of your genes are clear of "indicators" of disease?
adaptivegenome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
venuskane007

Default iHealth App designed for both iPhone and iPad

I have recently downloaded this nice app for my iphone. iHealth is for anyone tracking mundane or complex health issues. You can download it from here https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ihea...608852599?mt=8

Tags
app, genome, iphone, personalized medicine