SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Ion Torrent

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FASTA Viewer ashkot Bioinformatics 7 02-26-2012 09:23 PM
ChIP-Seq: ChIP-Array: combinatory analysis of ChIP-seq/chip and microarray gene expre Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 05-19-2011 03:50 AM
ChIP-Seq: ChIP-chip versus ChIP-seq: Lessons for experimental design and data analysi Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 03-02-2011 03:50 AM
Looking for a NGS viewer in iPad kenosaki General 6 02-02-2011 12:30 AM
SOAPsnp pileup viewer sukhbat Genomic Resequencing 2 09-23-2010 02:05 PM

Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
genseq

Default Chip Viewer

Hi,

Which program allows to view pH-sensore chips and to estimate their quality ?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sequencing for all en.pdf (17.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: pdf Sequencing for all ru.pdf (107.6 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by genseq; 04-11-2012 at 12:39 PM.
genseq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
BBoy

This is a puzzling statement. The identification of unloaded sites should be relatively straightforward. As for "estimating their quality" it is not clear how that can be done a-priori.

The whole idea of a "chip washing" station makes sense mostly for very low volume use in very price constrained environments. If the (Poisson) chip loading on the first pass is ~50% then you get ~25% on the second pass. And if the washing requires time-consuming quality control after that... you are already behind the ball. Being just an amateur in the field, I do not have hard data on the relative cost of chip and reagents, but I suspect that the latter dwarfs the former. Saving $250 on the cost of chip but maintaining $10k on the cost of reagents while getting only 50% of the data does not strike me as a viable proposal. Am I missing something?
BBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
genseq

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBoy View Post
This is a puzzling statement. The identification of unloaded sites should be relatively straightforward. As for "estimating their quality" it is not clear how that can be done a-priori.

The whole idea of a "chip washing" station makes sense mostly for very low volume use in very price constrained environments. If the (Poisson) chip loading on the first pass is ~50% then you get ~25% on the second pass. And if the washing requires time-consuming quality control after that... you are already behind the ball. Being just an amateur in the field, I do not have hard data on the relative cost of chip and reagents, but I suspect that the latter dwarfs the former. Saving $250 on the cost of chip but maintaining $10k on the cost of reagents while getting only 50% of the data does not strike me as a viable proposal. Am I missing something?
Coast of semiconductor sequencing - ~750$.
Coast of chip (Ion 316) - 299$.
You can save ~40%.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
BBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by genseq View Post
Coast of semiconductor sequencing - ~750$.
Coast of chip (Ion 316) - 299$.
You can save ~40%.
40% off the cost of consumables. Much less of the cost of "the answer" In any case, if I read the proposal correctly. The first time they simply use the same chip but just read the freshly loaded sites. Assuming 50% loading efficiency they get 50% of the data the second time around. The third time they start washing, and you have to add the cost of that - both washing as well as requalification. There will be savings in the end, and LifeTech will hate you to boot, but I still don't think that in a high volume situation the savings will be enough to offset the inconvenience and the data risk.

One problem I see is that once a bead is in place it is held by Van der Waals forces. For a 1um size bead the gravitational effects are sufficiently low that it can be difficult to dislodge a bead from a well.
BBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
genseq

Waste recycling?
This is terrible!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chip Recycling.JPG (25.7 KB, 106 views)