SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Sanger/Dye Terminator

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cufflinks FPKM Confidence Intervals--Sources of Variability mrbirdy857 Bioinformatics 0 03-07-2012 04:35 AM
PubMed: Snat: a SNP annotation tool for bovine by integrating various sources of geno Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 10-11-2011 02:00 AM
Raw sequence only from online sources? Joh Johannsen General 1 02-02-2011 12:24 PM
SequelPrep alternative Seqasaurus 454 Pyrosequencing 1 11-02-2010 03:37 AM
Sources of information about amplified genes (and overexpressed) in cancer danielsbrewer General 2 09-23-2010 12:33 AM

Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Dynamac

Default Alternative Sources of BigDye XTerminator

Does anyone know of alternatives to Life Technologies for this reagent? Since their acquisition of ABI, our cost has nearly doubled, and the costs for other reagents have increased as well.

Thanks!

Barry
Dynamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
Elcannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamac View Post
Does anyone know of alternatives to Life Technologies for this reagent? Since their acquisition of ABI, our cost has nearly doubled, and the costs for other reagents have increased as well.

Thanks!

Barry
I don't think you will get an answer for this because:
1- BDT is the biggest cash cow for Life Tech and always was (brings back memories of the acronym ABI, good ld days I must say).
2- It will keep going up ie stock market, gold watches private jet.
3- IP, is what drives innovation, without it, no funding, unless of course it is for a cure, then it would likely be about 100x the price.

You should do the following, order bulk, order within 3 weeks of a final quarter (end of March, June, Sept, Dec), tell your rep you will not order before the end of the month unless there is significant discount. Final solution is to move over to ET Terminator chemistry from GE. Pretty similar and much lower in cost but expect a support embargo from Life.

Don't expect more than 15%, BDT is the most controlled ingredient at Life.
Elcannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
han526

Default Have you tried magnetic beads based kits?

What I found is that once you optimize the conditions (mostly robotic handling), the magnetic beads purification works very well. Use less Dye terminator, clean and long reads. You may try PureSEq or CleanSEQ. Xteminator is propriatory. Life tech has a monopoly there.
han526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Dynamac

Thanks all, for the input. Life offered me 12%. I'll have to have discussions with our client about the alternatives.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
athensugadawg

Default MagBead-based DTR

when optimized on a robotic platform, e.g Beckman, Hamilton, Tecan (can use manually as well), will allow you to effectively take your BigDye dilution down to 1:16 for shotgun and 1:32 for PCR product. Cost per prep is quite favorable as well....Omega Bio-tek has a product that could possibly fit your needs.
athensugadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
MrGuy

I thought the guy was talking about xterminator and not BigDye? Agencourt makes a competitive product.

The best way to decrease the cost of xterminator is to run a 5-10 ul BigDye reaction vs the 20uL you are likely running now.
MrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Dynamac

I was talking about XTerminator. We doing a 1/8 reaction at 10 L volume now.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #8
MrGuy

Same here, but we run 1/4 reaction with a 25 minute sanger cycling.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #9
Dynamac

While we're on the subject, another question about the 3730xl DNA Analyzer. What effect does oven temperature have on separation? If I lower the temp, will the separation be better?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
MrGuy

Consider it this way...
You have a signal moving past a camera with a finite number of pictures it can take over certain time. To increase resolution, you would want more pictures per signal, right?

Thus, you can increase resolution by slowing the flow with:
1) longer path (capillary)
2) lower voltage (slower migration)
3) thicker polymer (I just stick with pop7 so I don't have to change anything)
4) colder oven (thicker polymer)
5) cold window (3130 has a heated window, can't remember if the 3730 has it).

So, basically just find a slow default run module, shorten or lengthen the time as it fits your product, then make some fine adjustments with your oven temp if you prefer.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #11
Dynamac

Thanks, MrGuy.

I don't think the 3730 supports anything other than Pop7, we're stuck with a 50-cm array, so we'll have to try to vary the voltage and oven temperature. We have short products, so we may never resolve them.

Barry
Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 AM   #12
MrGuy

How short is short? I used to sequence realtime products every now and then on a 36cm with the UltraSeq module/pop7
Old 09-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
Dynamac

100 bp! These are for a client. They may be qPCR products, I'm not sure.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:39 AM   #14
MrGuy

Throw on M13 tails and sequence through the primer. You'll gain a few bases that you need.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:22 AM   #15
pmiguel

The oven temp is designed to keep the product strand denatured so you end up with less product strand compression events.

For your application you might want to abandon big dye for the ancient "dRhodamine" chemistry. Big Dye's bulky fluors contribute to the lower quality of sequence very close to the primer. (You probably need to run a spectral for it, but I am not sure.)

Keep in mind that the low quality of the sequence may be a result of those PCR products being contaminated with primer dimers, not some issue with migration rates.

I would think that the 3730XL could handle other polymers. Might want to post on the ABRF forum. Higher density of first-gen experts there. Also, check with ABI tech support. Some times they come through.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #16
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamac View Post

Thanks!

Barry
Ethanol precipitation. But you need to seriously cut back on your Big Dye because EtOH isn't as effective at removing persisting reactants (dye blobs). Also, we generally use less than 2 volumes of ethanol to reduce the final salt concentration and reduce the predominance of short products. May not be as critical if you load in formamide -- we always do water loads for the higher signal strength. Oh, you also need a centrifuge, so it may not be ideal for your circumstances.

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #17
Dynamac

Thanks, all.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #18
Vinz

BD V1.1 is supposed to be better for the short products than BD V3.1
We use POP6 on one of our 3730XL for reading early. Using BD V1.1 and Pop6 reading from base 20 onwards is no problem. If you correct it manually, you could read from base 1 often. Caveats: Pop6 is only sold in very small aliquots and with a huge price tag.
If you are interested I could share the settings.
Vinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:59 AM   #19
Dynamac

I was under the impression that Pop 6 would not work on the 3730, but I'm glad to hear otherwise. If you could share the settings with me that would be great!

You can send a private message if you'd like, or just post them here.

Thanks, Vinz.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #20
Vinz

We got a patch from ABI to allow for POP6. If I recall correctly the main thing is a new POP6 mobility file to be selected in the "analysis protocol". But I think this is not required.
Oven temperature is set to 55C
PreRun and Run Voltage at 15kV (13kV gives a little better resolution, but takes longer)
160ms readoutime (first and second)

I would recommend a new spectral calibration after changing the POP.
Vinz is offline   Reply With Quote