Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Iris,

There is another potential issue I can think of which might cause such a low mapping percentage, and that is quite long reads paired with a high error rate.

As you are apparently using fasta sequences a Phred score of 40 is assumed for each base (making it impossible to look for base call error rates). If the sequencing run had a high error rate towards the end of the run you will potentially accumulate too many high quality mismatches which might result in the rejection of alignments. If this is the case you could try and raise the ceiling of cumulative mismatch scores (default 70) to 150 or so (-e 150). Alternatively you could trim the read length down to a value which should not have a high error rate, e.g. trim 100bp reads down to 50 or 60 bases which should be plenty to allow unique mapping.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by fkrueger View Post
      Hi Iris,

There is another potential issue I can think of which might cause such a low mapping percentage, and that is quite long reads paired with a high error rate.

As you are apparently using fasta sequences a Phred score of 40 is assumed for each base (making it impossible to look for base call error rates). If the sequencing run had a high error rate towards the end of the run you will potentially accumulate too many high quality mismatches which might result in the rejection of alignments. If this is the case you could try and raise the ceiling of cumulative mismatch scores (default 70) to 150 or so (-e 150). Alternatively you could trim the read length down to a value which should not have a high error rate, e.g. trim 100bp reads down to 50 or 60 bases which should be plenty to allow unique mapping.

Good luck!
      Thanks for your reply.
      Is what you suggested (raise the mismatch score) equivalent to increasing the # of mismatches? Now the default is 2 (allowing 2 mismatch bases), so I can increase it to, say, 5? But either way will compromise the accuracy, right? --- more unqualified reads will get mapped.

Comment

Hi Iris,

Good luck!
        A high error rate doing bowtie alignments shouldn't make a difference using the parameters she specifies since a seed region from the 5' end of the read is used to do the alignment (if memory serves me correctly).

The bowtie manual (http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/manual.shtml) says:
        -l/--seedlen <int>
        The "seed length"; i.e., the number of bases on the high-quality end of the read to which the -n ceiling applies. The lowest permitted setting is 5 and the default is 28. bowtie is faster for larger values of -l.
        If she was using the end-to-end alignment mode (which at least used to be an option in the past) errors in the reads may be an issue causing this, but the default is the seed-and-extend method. It shouldn't be that hard to find unique 28-mers...
        Last edited by Lee Sam; 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Sam View Post
          A high error rate doing bowtie alignments shouldn't make a difference using the parameters she specifies since a seed region from the 5' end of the read is used to do the alignment (if memory serves me correctly).

The bowtie manual (http://bowtie-bio.sourceforge.net/manual.shtml) says:

If she was using the end-to-end alignment mode (which at lest used to be an option) errors in the reads may be an issue causing this, but the default is the seed-and-extend method. It shouldn't be that hard to find unique 28-mers...
          Oh I see i got it wrong. The 2 mismatches are for the seed length (28 bp from the high-quality end). But does it mean that it allows lots of mismatches in the other end?
          Thank you so much guys. I learned a lot!

Comment

I wasn't talking about an error rate during the bowtie alignment, but the error rate of the sequencing run. We have seen quite a few runs where the error rate increased drastically towards the end of long runs (such as 75 bp). If actualy errors from the sequencing run get transformed into fastA files, a Phred score of 40, and therefore a very reliable (but wrong) basecall is assumed for that base.

I was talking about the -e ceiling (not the -n ceiling which applies for the seed length, which can be anything between 0 and 3), which is defined as follows:

-e/--maqerr <int>
            Maximum permitted total of quality values at all mismatched read positions throughout the entire alignment, not just in the "seed". The default is 70. Like Maq, bowtie rounds quality values to the nearest 10 and saturates at 30; rounding can be disabled with --nomaqround.

This means that each mismatch in a fastA file counts as 30, i.e. 3 mismatches (even if it is quite close to the 3' end of the sequence) willexceed the default value of 70 and cause the sequence to be removed (and scored as not aligned).

Comment

I was talking about the -e ceiling (not the -n ceiling which applies for the seed length, which can be anything between 0 and 3), which is defined as follows:

-e/--maqerr <int>
              Maximum permitted total of quality values at all mismatched read positions throughout the entire alignment, not just in the "seed". The default is 70. Like Maq, bowtie rounds quality values to the nearest 10 and saturates at 30; rounding can be disabled with --nomaqround.

This means that each mismatch in a fastA file counts as 30, i.e. 3 mismatches (even if it is quite close to the 3' end of the sequence) willexceed the default value of 70 and cause the sequence to be removed (and scored as not aligned).
              I see the manual changed a little since 0.10.0 (last version where I regularly read the manual), which read:

-e/--maqerr <int> The maximum permitted total of quality values at
              mismatched read positions. This total is also
              called the "quality-weighted hamming distance" or
              "Q-distance." This is analogous to the -e option
              for "maq map". The default is 70. Note that,
              like Maq, Bowtie rounds quality values to the
              nearest 10 and saturates at 30.
              I was confused in my understanding of how the -e parameter works then. I had been under the impression that the totals were only within the seed region. I stand corrected.

Comment

Please

I did the transcriptome SOLID, but reads not fully aligned, I'm losing 16 million of the data. what happened? where can I find? which software to use? I used the Bioscope. Can I use phred filter??
                thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses