Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining Illumina GA and HiSeq microRNA sequencing data-sets

I have a set of ~100 samples with microRNA sequencing data obtained using Illumina Genome Analyzer, and another set of ~200 samples with the data obtained using Illumina HiSeq 2000. The total ~300 samples belong to two groups, equally represented in the two data-sets. I am interested in differential expression analysis to compare microRNA expression between the two groups.

I want to combine the GA and HiSeq data (available as either absolute read counts and counts per million reads) to have a larger sample-size for the analyses.

The GA and HiSeq 2000 platforms use the same 'chemistry', and I understand that the main difference between them is that the latter has a higher throughput (processing time), so combining the data obtained with the two different platform seems reasonable.

Can anyone advise if this is indeed so? Further,

(1) Should one use the absolute read count values, or the count per million values?

(2) Should I normalize the data after combining the data-sets? What method will be appropriate?

(3) How should missing values be dealt with? E.g., unlike in the HiSeq data-set, microRNA miR-X may not have been detected in any sample of the GA data-set (and thus missing in it).

Thank you.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses