No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• makeblastdb error

Dear all,

I hope you can help. I'm trying to use to create a database to BLAST against. I use the makeblastdb command of:

makeblastdb -in BacMet_PRE.40556.fasta -title PRE -dbtype prot -out PRE -parse_seqids

I got the following result:

Building a new DB, current time: 12/03/2017 00:24:24
    New DB name: PRE
    New DB title: PRE
    Sequence type: Protein
    Keep Linkouts: T
    Keep MBits: T
    Maximum file size: 1000000000B
    Adding sequences from FASTA; added 40556 sequences in 1.71942 seconds.

A number of files with PRE.* are produced (PRE.phr PRE.pnd PRE.pog PRE.psi PRE.pin PRE.pni PRE.psd PRE.psq) however, there is no PRE.pal file.

When I attempt to BLAST against the db - I get the following error:

BLAST Database error: Could not find volume or alias file (.pal) referenced in alias file (-).

I really have no idea how to proceed. Have spent hours looking at forums and other sources. I am reasonably new at using UNIX and command line but know enough to get around. Any suggestions please?

Hi ML1975,

I just checked my latest protein BLAST databases. They also do not create a *.pal file, but they work fine with blastp or blastx. I think the *.pal files are only created if you have a large database.

- what is your exact BLAST command?
    - are you using the latest BLAST version?

Cheers,

Matt.

Comment

Thanks Matt. You are right. I got the BLAST command incorrect by not giving the correct name of the database. It now works using BLASt. I do have the latest version of BLAST.

To be honest, I am trying to use a program called BacMet (http://bacmet.biomedicine.gu.se/index.html) which incorporates BLAST and that allows me to scan an input file against a curated heavy metal/biocide database but their website has little information on getting the database set up. This is what I'm struggling with. If you have any expertise in this software then that would be great otherwise, I'll battle on!

Comment

hmm, I'm afraid I haven't heard of that program.

Good luck!

Matt.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses