Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How k-mers are merged to form contigs

I have a perl code that generates all k-mers of a sequence. Now, am trying to get contigs using these k-mers.

Does anybody have an idea how contigs are generated from k-mers in perl or any other language.

Thank you!

de Bruijn graphs are used for this in many assembly programs nowadays.

I've never actually seen them implemented in Perl, but I'd be interested if you find an example. I may be writing an example in Perl soon. It seems like it could be fairly straightforward. I think you might end up having to search for partial hash key matches (assuming you have made a hash of your kmer sequences). To do that you can use something like Tie::Hash::Regex, or the smart match operator. Actually the smart match operator (~~) seems like it'd be perfect for this, but I'd be too afraid to use it if you want the code to work on other computers with different versions of Perl or on computers that might be upgraded--it sounds like they may be drastically changing its behavior soon. See: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...lar-expression

One of the links below contains a Python implementation, but I haven't looked at it to see if it works, etc...

These might get you started:

Last edited by atcghelix; 10-09-2013, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses