Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public understanding of genomics

Interesting post here that people might want to comment on..

I really believe that, genetic test will popular in ten years, as the time when people understand that the genetic test just test the risk of the gene variation instead of determination of the disease.

Comment

I am spending the final chapter of my thesis - which is generally on CNVs in psychiatric disease - on the topic of DTC testing and medical relevance of genetic research results. I have interviewed some experts from the fields of psychiatry, clinical genetics, and epidemiology. Interesting to see how different they all look at the future usibility of genetic associations and other genetic reserach results. Has anyone ever taken such a DTC test? Would be interesting to see results.

Comment

Can you get to Boston, Mass.?

If you have access Boston, Mass. by any means, you can sign up and volunteer to get your genome sequenced and see for yourself.

Comment

More interested in interpretation

Thanks for the offer, Joann. I have actually thought of signing up, and am still contemplating. For the purpose of my societal chapter, I would actually be more interested in the interpretation that test provideers give to the variation they find. I know what happens in their labs (I am doing the same thing in our lab: sequencing, microarrays), but I would love to see what sort of medical reports they send to people who take the tests.

Comment

Scientific oversight encouraged

At this point, what you or any other interested scientist can do at any time is go to the NIH sponsored web site Gene Tests at

Centralized resource for clinical geneticists, genetic counselors and other healthcare professionals to find clinical and research, molecular, cytogenetic, biochemical and serology tests for human health and Mendelian disorders, pharmacogenetic drug responses, somatic phenotypes, complex conditions and infectious diseases like COVID-19. There is information about the disease, genes and links to practice guidelines and authoritative resources like GeneReviews, PubMed, MedlinePlus, PharmGKB to support the clinician's informed test selection.

look at the Clinical Test Listings and choose a gene (and a lab) of relevance that you would be interested in being tested for. That way, the diagnostic reports generated by the lab providing your test would go to you and would cover your personal genetics for that gene.

In fact, this might make a very interesting, informative organized group project/discussion.

Comment

non-clinical testing labs

Hey Joann,

Thanks for this link. As far as can see, it displays a different type of genetic testing labs than the ones the original article was referring to, namely the certified, clinical testing labs within hospitals and public institutes. DecodeMe is not such a lab, nor is 23andMe, Navigenics and a whole other bunch of companies. That is the category that I would be interested in. Discussing their relevance and impact, especially since we know their tests are clinically not (yet) relevant, would be interesting.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses