SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > SOLiD

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Library QC- cntrl loci enrichment doesn't match pre and post library generation yogioner Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 12-03-2012 03:40 PM
Library prep woes unusual bioanalyzer profile of Illumina RNA-seq library petey Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 11-19-2012 09:00 AM
BowTie Index Builder Arupsss Bioinformatics 5 06-26-2012 07:23 AM
Library prep can you get both mRNA and small RNAs in the same library? willgordon Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 07-20-2011 11:31 AM
3'UTR library or random primed cDNA library for quantification? Rosanne82 Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 06-26-2009 05:27 AM

Old 03-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
JPC

Default Library Builder

Is anyone using the LT Library builder for the 5500 or Ion systems? I can't find any posts....which might mean no one is having any problems with them OR no one has them!

which is it, does anybody love their Library Builder?

JPC
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #2
lilletine

We have a LibraryBuilder installed in Bergen. We have only used it a handful of times but we have been happy with the results so far, both DNA and RNA. We will start using it more often now, as we have got a modified protocol to use it with SureSelect. All the best, christine
lilletine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 AM   #3
MrGuy

We have one and it works as advertised. It obviates the need of a lot of other equipment when short on budget -- bioanalyzer, shearing tool, size selection. It takes about 2.5 hrs to run. Some nice things about it are you can choose to automate shearing and/or size selection on instrument or opt to do it off instrument. Kits are a bit pricey compared to manual kits, but cheaper than other cartridge kits. You can also do DNA/RNA extraction if you put in a different protocol card.
MrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
JPC

Thanks for replying both.

Christine, is the sure select protocol from Agilent?

MrGuy, how are you shearing on the Lib Builder?

JC
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
lilletine

JPC, no the protocol is not validated by Agilent nor Life, but has been run successfully by another lab. Basically, we will generate fragment libraries according to Life, with their primers and barcodes, and then jump into SureSelect at hybridisation. We will use blockers from the Life TargetSeq kit. Will try it out next week.
lilletine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
MrGuy

We're just using Ion Shear. We haven't seen any notable artifacts so far, but we only use it occasionally. I think we are up to 40 genomes on it, many of which were replicats or nearly identical (and genomes really aren't what we focus on). Sure beats buying a covaris or similar.
MrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
JPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGuy View Post
We're just using Ion Shear. We haven't seen any notable artifacts so far, but we only use it occasionally. I think we are up to 40 genomes on it, many of which were replicats or nearly identical (and genomes really aren't what we focus on). Sure beats buying a covaris or similar.
ah I see, we're still waiting for installation of our Ion, I had assumed it would still require the Covaris, it would be nice if someone at LifeTech had mentioned a new shearing technique to me!

Tags
automation, library builder