Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bait design for seqCapture

I have questions about developing baits for sequence capture to use in population genetics of 2 very closely related species.

We have no genomic resources for our organism (a sedge) or anything in the very large genus.

However, we did a *very* low coverage whole genome sequencing run from our species of interest on the miSeq - we ended up with about 1/10x coverage of the genome (~250bp fragments).
    I want to use these unassembled reads to develop baits. We want to target random regions throughout the genome.

I had never intended to assemble this data - I didn't see a need.

After trimming, I had intended to use blast to remove as many undesirable sequences as possible (chloroplast, mitochondria, virus, bacteria, and things that blast to know repetitive DNA), and then randomly choose ~10,000 unassembled reads for bait design (designed by mycroArray/myBaits).

However, my husband, the bioinformatics guy, thinks it is crazy to design baits from unassembled sequence.

He thinks we need more sequence data, so we can at least partially assemble the genome before selecting regions for bait design. He argues that we can't trust unassembled reads because in a typical assembly (with more data) ~50% of reads can't be assembled, so they must be garbage - implying that from my approach 50% of the baits will be garbage.

I realize that we could do RADseq or some variant, but prefer not to, due to possible bias (low number of individuals per locus).

My question is whether we need to get more sequence data for a partial assembly, or if my approach is reasonable.

Thanks for any input!

I think that targeting genic regions would be a better approach because they would be more conserved between or among species than intergenic region. To do this, assembly and a BLAST to identify contigs from coding region of genome is essential.

Comment

thanks for your response. Yes, most people doing seqCap are using transcriptome data for bait design. But those people are interested in phylogenetics. We're interested in within-species diversity (or btw 2 very closely related species), so we don't really want conserved regions - though with 5-10,000 baits, even conserved regions would probably give enough snps to see if the 2 species are different from each other.
      My husband thinks that blasting all of the unassembled reads is unreasonable bc there are millions of reads. but metagenomics people seem to do that

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses