Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
error in Cufflinks v2.0.2 when using Cuffmerge mattanswers Bioinformatics 2 07-11-2014 02:40 PM
Cuffmerge Error ercfrtz Bioinformatics 12 05-19-2014 09:02 PM
cuffmerge error Baoqing RNA Sequencing 4 06-06-2013 09:32 PM
Error running Cuffmerge on sample Kotoro Bioinformatics 2 03-02-2013 04:22 PM
cuffmerge error wangli RNA Sequencing 5 07-19-2012 09:08 AM

Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Location: LA

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14
Wink Cuffmerge error - please help!

Hi all
I need your help please (and yes, I read the previous cuffmerge error posts, and did not get a solution thet works). I need to run cuffmerge ~250 files, but to test it first I am trying to run it just on two, and get the following error:
[Thu Jun 19 14:44:59 2014] Beginning transcriptome assembly merge

[Thu Jun 19 14:44:59 2014] Preparing output location test211/
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/u/local/apps/cufflinks/2.1.1/cuffmerge", line 580, in <module>
File "/u/local/apps/cufflinks/2.1.1/cuffmerge", line 546, in main
chrom_info = get_gtf_chrom_info(gtf, chrom_info)
File "/u/local/apps/cufflinks/2.1.1/cuffmerge", line 476, in get_gtf_chrom_info
left = int(cols[3])
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: 'transcript'

I tried to use several different reference gtf files (all downloaded from UCSC) or run without reference (just merge the transcript files) and get the same error.
The cuffmerge command is:
cuffmerge -o test -g PATH2/GENECODEM2_mm10_comprehensive_processed.gtf -s PATH2/Chromosomes -p 8 assembly_list.txt

The assembly file is:

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Last edited by yehudithasin; 06-20-2014 at 01:51 PM.
yehudithasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Location: LA

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 14

Ok, so I found the problem (thanks to adiallo's advice), and its really weird:
Cufflinks apparently made a slip in some of the files, and one row in the transcript.gtf file of *some* samples looks like this:
"chr4 Cufflichr4 Cufflinks transcript 137468769 137570630 1 + . gene_id "CUFF.10499"; transcript_id "ENSMUST00000030547.8"; FPKM "0.0000000000"; frac "0.000000"; conf_lo "0.000000"; conf_hi "0.000000"; cov "0.000000"; full_read_support "no";"
i.e. there is an extra field in one line....

while all the rest look normal (i.e. like:
"chr4 Cufflinks exon 140765571 140765637 1000 - . gene_id "ENSMUSG00000025330.6"; transcript_id "ENSMUST00000026381.6"; exon_number "14"; FPKM "0.0259126396"; frac "1.000000"; conf_lo "0.025913"; conf_hi "0.025913"; cov "0.092702";"

In case you are running into this - I found the line number by getting all the field 4 values (awk <transcript.gtf '{print $4}' >temp) and then "grep -n 'transcript' temp" to find the line number....

This is really weird, and the first time I see something like this for cufflinks (I used version 2.2.1 to generate the files, and STAR to align)
yehudithasin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO