No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calling Heterozygous SNPs with samtools mpileup

Dear all,

I am trying to use samtools mpileup in order to call the variants in my bam file.
    I know that in my sample there are some homozygous and heterozygous SNPs. But samtools seems to not call a lot of mine heterozygous SNPs.
    Maybe I did not get an important point of the mpileup command, but looking in the man page of sourceforge of samtools I was not able to find any solutions to my problem.
    Does anyone can help me?

Here my command:
    samtools mpileup -ug -f fasta.fa aln.bam | bcftools view -bvcg - > var.raw.bcf
    bcftools view var.raw.bcf | vcfutils.pl varFilter -D1000000 > var.flt.vcf

Thank you so much

Elena

I think the command is fine. First obvious thing; look at the pileup at the loci where you expect SNPs, and see what they look like.

Second thing, try redoing the command line with -Bug or -Eug. The BAQ calculations sometimes will degrade the quality at real SNPs, such that they can't be called. I've seen this happen with sanger verified SNPs

Also, the samtools manual recommends -C50 in the mpileup command if you are using bwa to align.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses