Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could known snp be disease causing variant?

I am using exome seq to search for causative mutations in a family with Mendel type genetic disease.

A mutation was found in all the patients while absent among normal people of the pedigree. function of the gene is strongly supporting the phenotype of the disease.

however, the mutation has been reported in the 1000 genome project, although in a very low frequency(1 out of 1094). clinical features of the disease is very mild, only affecting skin pigment distribution.

my questions are:
    Does this mutation worth further investigation?
    If does, what should I do?

thanks for you attention.
    Last edited by gary; 03-05-2012, 10:33 PM.

You can run the statistics to see if there's a significant correlation. From what you write, I would assume there is. Normally, then, you would just start with the regular molecular biology experiments appropriate to this protein and then make a mouse (if appropriate to this gene, it's not for all of them). That's pretty much the normal flow of disease research.

Comment

thanks for your valuable reply dpryan!

The mutation was found in all the patients while absent among normal people of the pedigree. So I think it is clear that there is a significant correlation.

My primary concern is that since the mutation has been reported in the 1000 genome database (absent in the dbSNP database), is it still worth further functional investigation?

Are there any similar precedent studies I can learn from.

Comment

I think the other issue is how do you know that 1000 Genomes individual doesn't in fact have the condition? I don't think the subjects are particularly well phenotyped. I think people need to start treading very carefully with the assumption 'because it's been seen before, it isn't pathogenic'. dbSNP has plenty of pathogenic mutations..

Comment

thanks Bukowski

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too.

Is there a way I could get the detailed phenotype info of the 1000 Genomes individual who has the variant?

Comment

I'm thinking 'no' from their not so helpful phenotype page: http://www.1000genomes.org/faq/can-i...mation-samples

Comment

Originally posted by gary View Post
              The mutation was found in all the patients while absent among normal people of the pedigree. So I think it is clear that there is a significant correlation.
              You have not told us yet how many people you have in your statistics. I hope it is a reasonable sample size. (Have you calculated a p value with Fisher's test?)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
              • seqadmin
                The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
              0 responses