No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to soft-clip in SAMTOOLS?

Hello everyone,

I am using SAMTOOLS to view, sort, and index parts of a patient's DNA. But no matter what I do, I always get the same answer in alignment of this DNA with reference DNA: "empty."

I think the problem is that I don't have my data soft-clipped. How do I soft-clip data in samtools? Does samtools sort do soft-clipping? Because I already use samtools sort. Thanks!

As far as I know Samtools does not do soft-clipping. It does have the CIGAR string which will contain clipping information.

Since you are new person to SeqAnswers I have to ask the basic question: You do know that Samtools does not do alignment? Rather it parses sam/bam files that other alignment programs have created. If the up-stream alignment program did not find an alignment then Samtools can not report an alignment.

Comment

Soft-clipping is done by some alignment software (BWA and bowtie2) during the initial alignment. I'm not sure what you are asking otherwise.

Comment

We need to have a mandatory sticky that should be read and quizzed over prior to asking questions. Your post makes little sense to me. Please copy and paste all of the commands you used as well as the error message you saw. Samtools does not perform softcliipping; I am not aware of any non-aligner tools that do (although there may be some).

Comment

Yes, I do know that samtools does not do alignment. I am using another program called SHEAR to do that. However, when I run my files through SHEAR, all the results end up being "empty". This would mean two things in my opinion: 1) the data I have does not have any differences with the reference genome, or 2) there is a problem with the data. I ran the data again through CREST (which detects genetic structural variations), and the result came up as empty again. CREST informed me that I needed to have soft-clipped data.

Comment

Originally posted by kirito View Post
            Yes, I do know that samtools does not do alignment. I am using another program called SHEAR to do that.
            Never heard of the program. The seqanswers wiki page on known software does not list it. Could you give a reference to the program? Ditto with CREST.
            However, when I run my files through SHEAR, all the results end up being "empty". This would mean two things in my opinion: 1) the data I have does not have any differences with the reference genome, or 2) there is a problem with the data. I ran the data again through CREST (which detects genetic structural variations), and the result came up as empty again. CREST informed me that I needed to have soft-clipped data.
            Usually an alignment needs to be made before detecting variants.

Comment

Why don't you just realign the data with an aligner that does soft-clipping (many aligners don't do that by default)? Trying to soft-clip after the fact is a fool's errand.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses