SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comparison of Tissue specific expression (Rna-seq) detq182 Bioinformatics 0 05-19-2012 08:25 PM
comparison between two samples in chip-seq emilyjia2000 Bioinformatics 3 01-06-2012 07:45 AM
snap frozen vs formaldehyde-fixed paraffin tissue samples hammerberlin RNA Sequencing 1 11-24-2010 03:14 PM

Old 07-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
shikha5

Default Comparison between two indvidual tissue samples from RNA seq

Hi Everybody
I have a question regarding the RNA seq data analysis in terms of the differential exon usage by two different tissue samples such as comparison between kidney tissue (RNA seq reads aligned to reference genome) and liver tissue. I want to look for the differential exon usage like if some gene xyz in kidney tissue using say exon 1 but same exon is absent in liver gene xyz.

I welcome all your valuable suggestions related to my query.

Thank you.
Have a good day.
shikha5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

If you really only have 2 samples (and not, as in your example, say 3 liver samples and 3 kidney samples), then there's no reliable way to do that. You can certainly find differences between the samples, but you can't then know if those differences are representative of tissue differences or not. If you have replicates, just use DEXSeq.
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
shikha5

Thanks dear for your reply and suggestion.

Okay, I also think that this is a good idea to consider the replicates of a sample but if I use the DEXSeq tool then it will only tell me about the variability among replicates of a same sample not between two individual samples with replicates. For example two samples with 3 replicates each, now the question is: Can it tell me the variability in terms of their "exon usage" between two samples considering all their replicates?
shikha5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Yes, DEXSeq considers all biological replicates of a group in the comparison.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #5
Jeremy

It sounds like you have paired samples (two tissue types from a single individual), is that correct?
I haven't used it, but I think EdgeR supports paired samples.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
dpryan
Devon Ryan

@Jeremy, edgeR is intended for differential expression whereas DEXSeq is intended for looking at differential exon usage. You could use edgeR (or even DESeq) for this sort of thing, but it would take more effort than needed. DEXSeq uses a generalized linear model (like edgeR/DESeq/etc.), so it can also deal with paired samples.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
Jeremy

The result of a differential expression analysis depends on what the input is, if it is gene level information you get differential expression results of genes. If it is exon level information you get differential expression results of exons.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #8
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
The result of a differential expression analysis depends on what the input is, if it is gene level information you get differential expression results of genes. If it is exon level information you get differential expression results of exons.
Yes and no. If you directly used, say, edgeR without any modifications, you would have many more false positives, since most/all of the exons of a differentially expressed gene would show significant differential usage, even though this would be an artifact. One could simply write code to handle these situations in edgeR, but then you're mostly just recreating the wheel/DEXSeq.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Jeremy

Well, my point was that if he has paired samples then the analysis needs to be for paired samples, edgeR was just an example.