Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merging Assemblies with Minimus2

I am trying to use Minimus2 to merge abyss assemblies. I also want to use it to run my assemblies against some 454 reads to try and get better value from these longer reads. I managed to get it working with a smaller test set but having difficulty with larger concatenated files from the assemblies.

Is there a limit to the size of the input data that can be handled by miniums2?

I am considering chopping up my assemblies into smaller faster files. I can then merge each file with the 454 data in turn. I could then use a clustering tool (CD-HIT-EST) to merge all the files to remove redundancy. Has anyone any experience/recommendations doing something like this?

Here is one of the problems I am having, when I concatenate two files from an abyss assembly (.fa files) and convert to afg (with toAmos) for use in minimus2 I get the following error.

AFG ERROR: Sequence and quality lengths disagree
    could not parse 'RED' message with iid:1, message ignored
    ERROR: Sequence and quality lengths disagree
    could not parse 'RED' message with iid:2, message ignored
    could not parse 'RED' message with iid:3, message ignored
    could not parse 'RED' message with iid:4, message ignored
    and so on for all entries......

I am at a bit of a loss to what is going on.... I don't have quality scores.

here is what fasta file looks like:
    >3520 2510 57729
    ATATCTCATTTAGCTTCATTTGTATAACATCTGAAAACAAAAGTTAATCTCCACAGTCACAAGATAGCACTGAATTAGGT
    TCATACACAGAGGAAGCTAGAAATTGCAGATTGGTTCCGCGCTCCAAGTTTTTTAAAAATGATGCTTAAATACTACCTGA
    TACTCTAATCTTTGATGTAATACATGAAGGGAATAAGAAAAACACTTCATACCATGAGTTCATAGTGGTCCCTCACGCTG
    CACTTGTCCCTCACGGATACGTCAAA
    Last edited by SLB; 05-19-2011, 06:21 AM.

Comment

toAmos error

Originally posted by SLB View Post
      Here is one of the problems I am having, when I concatenate two files from an abyss assembly (.fa files) and convert to afg (with toAmos) for use in minimus2 I get the following error.

AFG ERROR: Sequence and quality lengths disagree
      could not parse 'RED' message with iid:1, message ignored
      could not parse 'RED' message with iid:2, message ignored
      could not parse 'RED' message with iid:3, message ignored
      could not parse 'RED' message with iid:4, message ignored
      and so on for all entries......

I am at a bit of a loss to what is going on.... I don't have quality scores.

here is what fasta file looks like:
      >3520 2510 57729
      ATATCTCATTTAGCTTCATTTGTATAACATCTGAAAACAAAAGTTAATCTCCACAGTCACAAGATAGCACTGAATTAGGT
      TCATACACAGAGGAAGCTAGAAATTGCAGATTGGTTCCGCGCTCCAAGTTTTTTAAAAATGATGCTTAAATACTACCTGA
      TACTCTAATCTTTGATGTAATACATGAAGGGAATAAGAAAAACACTTCATACCATGAGTTCATAGTGGTCCCTCACGCTG
      CACTTGTCCCTCACGGATACGTCAAA

Hi SLB,

Were you able to figure it out? I am having the same error trying to combine abyss output. I am following this protocol: http://ged.msu.edu/angus/metag-assem...et-multik.html

Please let me know if you were able to fix the problem.

Thank you,

-Milo

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses