Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MiniSeq - a new addition?

Just got an email from Illumina for a webinar next week "introducing MiniSeq".

Looks like a new addition to the sequencer family though Illumina's website is not listing the system just yet.

Wow, Keith called it, huh?

Comment

So. What is the current count of Illumina sequencers?
      HiSeqX
      HiSeq3000/4000
      NextSeq
      MiSeq/MiSeqDx
      and now, the "MiniSeq".
      I guess that is 5.
      What are we guessing here? PGM-killer?

--
      Phillip

Comment

I thought the PGM and the MiSeq were more along the same lines, specs-wise. My thought is the MiniSeq is going to be a low low throughput instrument, sort of like a MiSeq that only ever runs nano and micro kits. But probably two color based, like the NextSeq.

Is there really a big market for these super low throughput machines? Maybe the idea is to compete with digital PCR? A cheap way to do library QC that isn't as expensive as a MiSeq run?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica_L View Post
          I thought the PGM and the MiSeq were more along the same lines, specs-wise. My thought is the MiniSeq is going to be a low low throughput instrument, sort of like a MiSeq that only ever runs nano and micro kits. But probably two color based, like the NextSeq.

Is there really a big market for these super low throughput machines? Maybe the idea is to compete with digital PCR? A cheap way to do library QC that isn't as expensive as a MiSeq run?
          I haven't checked the specs in a while, but I think a MiSeq is more along the lines of a Proton as far as the amount of sequence it produces per run. An Illumina sequencer that costs about what a PGM does and has reagent cost/run in that same region would likely be successful. The problem with the Nano MiSeq reagents is that they produce about 1/10th the amount of sequence (that is fine) but cost about 1/2 as much as the full non-Nano MiSeq reagents (not fine).

--
          Phillip

Comment

There's a YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBmOWNmj4Gk

From the video, the flow cell is fairly large. The sequencer screen shows a cluster density of 196K/mm2, similar to the NextSeq. 2x150 runs, about 8 GB data. This should get about 30 million clusters.

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
              The problem with the Nano MiSeq reagents is that they produce about 1/10th the amount of sequence (that is fine) but cost about 1/2 as much as the full non-Nano MiSeq reagents (not fine).

--
              Phillip
              That is probably a pure marketing decision because they still have to make the flowcell/cartridge in the same size.

I agree that if the nano flowcells were priced right, they would be a great way to do quick check on libraries. Perhaps people can buy a MiniSeq for this purpose if the reagents would be priced right.

Comment

The specs are here:
                See performance parameters and specifications for the MiniSeq System. The small footprint allows it to fit seamlessly into laboratories.

Comment

I think the only remaining question is the price per kit. Per luc's link, it looks like it'll be a smaller, cheaper MiSeq with almost exactly the same specs.

http://core-genomics.blogspot.ie/201...y-miniseq.html is reporting that the run prices will be vastly lower than the MiSeq though, which would make this a much more interesting proposition. Not sure if that'd be in Illumina's interests, though - though the markup on SBS kits is obviously gigantic, so they might have made the calculation that they'd make more money selling lots of cheaper kits for cheaper sequencers than they get from their current relatively-small-but-lucrative market.

Comment

First MiniSeq webinar under way.

Single cartridge, RFID encoded.
                    2-channel SBS, G - uses no dye
                    Users only need to interact with one well.
                    Custom seq primers can be used (with other wells).
                    Everything included (run/analysis) on machine.
                    Local run manager - Available on local network so can setup/analyze data remotely (on local network)
                    Data can be streamed to network storage during run just like MiSeq.
                    Can use BaseSpace (local/cloud).
                    MiniSeq Control software - to run the sequencer (gets data from local run manager)
                    High-Output - 25 Million (3 run lengths supported, 2 x 150 max)
                    Mid-output - 8 million reads only 300 cycles.
                    Cancer applications - Tumor profiling, Amplicon
                    TruSeq Targeted RNA assays (human, mouse) - Custom panels, single amplicon per gene
                    TruSeq Custom Amplicon low input - (2 x 150 runs) - 32 h turn around. 10 ng input (FFPE ok), 6+ hands on time, 16 sample kit, Example data on basespace
                    PCR Products - sequence via Nextera XT
                    Datasets in BaseSpace generated using MiniSeq available.

Shortest run - 1 x 36 for microRNA, 4 hr run

Cluster density - ~ 175-200K/mm^2 (60 tiles)

Once run completes, analysis runs automatically (including DE analysis). Lot of "canned" results options for bench scientists.

$550 per run (mid-output 300 cycle kit per @misterc, post #16 below).

MiniSeq scientific challenge to go with the intro :-)
                    Last edited by GenoMax; 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Thanks Genomax. I'm doing the webinar at 3PM EST today...

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                        I haven't checked the specs in a while, but I think a MiSeq is more along the lines of a Proton as far as the amount of sequence it produces per run. An Illumina sequencer that costs about what a PGM does and has reagent cost/run in that same region would likely be successful. The problem with the Nano MiSeq reagents is that they produce about 1/10th the amount of sequence (that is fine) but cost about 1/2 as much as the full non-Nano MiSeq reagents (not fine).

--
                        Phillip
                        I suppose that makes sense. I always figured that a Proton could go up to 10GB but most MiSeq kits generate around 5, but that's also for 300 cycles. Looking at 500 cycle kits brings the two systems much closer to equivalency.

Also, nothing but agreement about the cost of MiSeq nano kits. We have plenty of applications where a million reads would be great but not when it costs half as much as a full kit.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                          $550 per run.
                          Is that inclusive of sample prep, and/or did they say what run length that was? If that's for the 75-cycle kit this isn't really a big change from MiSeq, but if that's 300-cycle and the others are cheaper then this could be significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketknight View Post
                            Is that inclusive of sample prep, and/or did they say what run length that was? If that's for the 75-cycle kit this isn't really a big change from MiSeq, but if that's 300-cycle and the others are cheaper then this could be significant.
                            Sorry, I missed the details on that (I think it was just the reagent cost) since the presenter went through some of the slides rather quickly.

Someone else who attended the webinar may want to chime-in.

Comment

My understanding was reagent cost only.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses