No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nucmer_and_ABACAS

Hi everyone,

I have been using ABACAS in order to map contigs to a reference genome and all the contigs from mira, ray, newbler, cap3 seem to run and produce results except for CLCworkbench contigs file

I am getting this error:

# CONSTRUCTIONTIME /usr/bin/mummer nucmer.ntref 1.14
    # reading input file "/home/parinita/Documents/CSC8398/Abacas_mapping/CLC_workbench.fasta" of length 2814092
    # matching query-file "/home/parinita/Documents/CSC8398/Abacas_mapping/CLC_workbench.fasta"
    # against subject-file "nucmer.ntref"
    # COMPLETETIME /usr/bin/mummer nucmer.ntref 5.95
    # SPACE /usr/bin/mummer nucmer.ntref 5.65
    4: FINISHING DATA
    ERROR: Could not parse input from 'Query File'.
    Please check the filename and format, or file a bug report
    ERROR: postnuc returned non-zero
    Use of uninitialized value in addition (+) at abacas.1.3.1.pl line 1001.
    Total contigs = 0
    Use of uninitialized value $id in print at abacas.1.3.1.pl line 1013.
    Use of uninitialized value $id in print at abacas.1.3.1.pl line 1014.
    Use of uninitialized value $id in print at abacas.1.3.1.pl line 1015.

I am pretty sure, my file is in the correct format because I have used it with other software before.

So if anyone could please help me?

Thank you.

I am pretty sure, my file is in the correct format because I have used it with other software before.
    Have you actually checked to ensure the format of the input fasta file? Have a 5sec visual inspection of it with a viewer like less.

Comment

Have you actually checked to ensure the format of the input fasta file? Have a 5sec visual inspection of it with a viewer like less.
      Yes, I confirm it is in fasta file format and I have used it with other software before and it worked fine. Is there any other reason why it cannot align it??

Thank you.

Comment

It's a pretty cryptic error message, and I haven't come across it myself. Things you might look into:

Was the file generated on a unix system? -- I'm thinking windows \r\n linebreaks (as opposed to \n on unix systems), though I don't know if it would make a difference here?

Spaces in the FASTA file headers? - some programs don't like them. Again, I'm not sure about nucmer, as my automated workflows have _ instead of spaces to avoid things like this.

Comment

Spaces in the FASTA file headers? - some programs don't like them
          Yes, I am using Biolinux as platform. I have also changed the headers to Contig1 and simplified them but still no luck.

Comment

Abacas' blind spot is show-tiling from mummer, and I guess your nucmer.tiling file is empty, causing this Perl error. It happens if show-tiling cannot stitch together the consensus from nucmer.delta. I recommend to run mummer directly and optimize parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by muol View Post
              Abacas' blind spot is show-tiling from mummer, and I guess your nucmer.tiling file is empty, causing this Perl error. It happens if show-tiling cannot stitch together the consensus from nucmer.delta. I recommend to run mummer directly and optimize parameters.
              Hi, I fixed the problem. Actually, the FASTA file was exported on a windows platform and I was running mummer on linux. I just copied the fasta file contents in a linux editor. It parsed the file correctly.

Thanks

Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses