No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mpileup and multiple input files

Hi All,

Is there any reason why the order in which .bam files are given to mpileup would affect the number of sites in the mpileup file?

I have 8 .bam files and I need to have an mpileup file with the samples in a particular order in the columns. I have run mpileup twice with the following settings:

Code:
    samtools mpileup -d 1000000 -I -f in_genome.fasta 1st.bam 2nd.bam ... > out.mpileup
    When I run it again with a different order of the input .bam files I get a massively different mpileup file that then affects how many SNPs are called/analysed downstream.

I am using samtools version 0.1.19

I've no idea, but you should use samtools-1.2 as 0.1.19 is pretty ancient now.

Comment

Thanks jkbonfield. I'll try updating in case it's just a version issue. Still seems like odd behaviour though.

Comment

I have now tried with the newer version of samtools (v. 1.2). This at least gives me mpileup files that are the same size. Hopefully this was just a weird version bug. We'll see what the downstream analyses turn up.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses