Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PacBio zips out Haitian cholera genomes

Pacific Biosciences and a team from Harvard have sequenced 2 isolates from the Haitian cholera outbreak plus 3 reference strains in amazing time -- just over a month from deciding to collaborate to publication in a top journal! Actual sequence generation was 2 days after receipt of the bacterial genomic DNA.

Good article in BioIT World with the backstory, and currently free on New England Journal of Medicine with the science (paper; supplement with detailed methods).

Thanks for posting this Keith.

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
      Pacific Biosciences and a team from Harvard have sequenced 2 isolates from the Haitian cholera outbreak plus 3 reference strains in amazing time -- just over a month from deciding to collaborate to publication in a top journal! Actual sequence generation was 2 days after receipt of the bacterial genomic DNA.

Good article in BioIT World with the backstory, and currently free on New England Journal of Medicine with the science (paper; supplement with detailed methods).
      Wow...a little bit of a "bow shot" to Illumina and ABI...I guess it really works.

Comment

I've been interested in the Pac Bio system because of the long reported read lengths but I've found it difficult to find any reliable stats or raw trace data.

They quote some highly qualified stats with their system that sound good until you read the fine print, like claiming ~5kb read lengths but only when "strobing" (i.e. not actually recording the majority of the sequence.) and claiming >99.99% accuracy, but for the consensus sequence (i.e. the consensus after aligning dozens of reads, which doesn't say anything about the actual per-read accuracy).

Pac Bio seem to be very coy about releasing any meaningful stats or raw trace data... Are there any third parties out there who have any hands-on experience with this system and who can verify their claims?

EDIT: OK I just noticed the supplementary info for that paper, and Table S1 answered a few of my questions... single-pass accuracy was ~82%, mean read length ~1kb (I am assuming they didn't strobe for these reads) with best 5% of reads > 1.8-2.8 kb. The DNA was sheared to ~2kb so I guess they didn't resequence individual clones since as I understand it they would need ~500bp fragments to sequence twice with a read length of 1kb. All in all not bad for 2 day's work, but I'd still like to see some actual traces.

IMO, the system is still crying out for a photostable polymerase to allow real single-molecule consensus sequencing with long fragments. I hear they are working on it, definitely one to watch.
        Last edited by microphobe; 12-15-2010, 06:49 PM.

Comment

My understanding is the early adopters of the PacBio systems have been under a type of "gag order" as part of the paid for beta program...or something to that effect.

Comment

If you sign up for their DevNet informatics site, they have some E.coli raw reads there -- but I can't claim to have actually played with them.

Comment

This link has been published before so I don't believe I'm crossing any lines...but the cholera dataset is available in the SRA here:

ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sra/Submi...026/SRA026766/

Comment

In case anybody is interested, I posted a partial re-analysis of their dataset, with a few numbers and observations they don't directly provide in the NEJM paper.

http://oelemento.wordpress.com/2011/...uence-dataset/

Comment

Originally posted by OlivierE View Post
                  In case anybody is interested, I posted a partial re-analysis of their dataset, with a few numbers and observations they don't directly provide in the NEJM paper.

http://oelemento.wordpress.com/2011/...uence-dataset/
                  Nice first post...!

Comment

Many thanks for your analysis, the data therein is very helpful/useful.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses