Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bowtie2 2.6.0 command not found

I downloaded bowtie2-2.6.0 from github, extracted, and installed it. I added it to path using:

Code:
     echo "export PATH=\$PATH:export PATH=$PATH:"/media/C2F8EFBFF8EFAFB9/bowtie2-2.6.0"/" >> ~/.bashrc
    and confirmed it using:

Code:
     cat ~/.bashrc
    Code:
     /media/C2F8EFBFF8EFAFB9/picard-tools-1.135/:/media/C2F8EFBFF8EFAFB9/bowtie2-2.6.0/
    it appears to be added but when I try to build and index using combined files from chromFA.tar.gz using:

Code:
     bowtie2-build hg19.fa hg19
    No command 'bowtie2-build' found, did you mean:
     Command 'bowtie-build' from package 'bowtie' (universe)
    bowtie2-build: command not found
    What did I do wrong? Thank you .

You probably need to set the path to a directory lower than now
    Code:
    $ /media/C2F8EFBFF8EFAFB9/bowtie2-2.6.0/bin

Comment

I mounted the directorry to the desktop and added path again.... it recognizes bowtie2 but throws an error:

Code:
       dnascopev@ubuntu:~$ cd "/home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta"
      dnascopev@ubuntu:~/Desktop/hg19_fasta$ bowtie2-build hg19.fa hg19
      Traceback (most recent call last):
        File "/home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/bowtie2-2.6.0/bowtie2-build", line 95, in <module>
          main()
        File "/home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/bowtie2-2.6.0/bowtie2-build", line 92, in main
          os.execv(build_bin_spec, argv)
      OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
      If I am reading the error right it can not find the hg19.fa but that file is directory (/home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta). Any suggestions? Thanks .

Comment

When things are not in the current directory (or in $PATH) it is simple to provide the full/relative path to the file/directory in question.
        Code:
        $ bowtie2-build ./hg19.fa hg19 OR
        $ bowtie2-build /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/hg19.fa hg19
        Is there a reason your are building these yourself than getting them from iGenomes?

Comment

I tried both:

Code:
          dnascopev@ubuntu:~/Desktop/hg19_fasta$ bowtie2-build /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/hg19.fa hg19
            File "/home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/bowtie2-2.6.0/bowtie2-build", line 95, in <module>
              main()
            File "/home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/bowtie2-2.6.0/bowtie2-build", line 92, in main
          dnascopev@ubuntu:~/Desktop/hg19_fasta$ bowtie2-build ./hg19.fa hg19
              main()
          I am downloaded from iGenomes, just curious why its not working.

.bashrc
          Code:
          export PATH=$PATH:/home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/bowtie2-2.6.0
          Thanks .

Comment

Have you tried
            Code:
            $ bowtie2-build -f /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/hg19.fa hg19
            Is that file actually present?

Code:
            $ ls -lh /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/*.fa
            These indexes should already be present in Sequences/Bowtie2Index directory (base name genome), if you had downloaded the bundle from iGenomes.

Comment

Code:
               dnascopev@ubuntu:~$ bowtie2-build -f /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/hg19.fa hg19
                  main()
              The fie appears to be there.

Code:
               dnascopev@ubuntu:~$ ls -lh /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/*.fa
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 dnascopev dnascopev 3.0G Jun 22 10:17 /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/hg19.fa

Comment

You do have write permissions in that directory?

Code:
                $ touch /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/test
                $ ls -l /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/test

Comment

The permissions on that directory are set to create and delete

Code:
                   dnascopev@ubuntu:~$ touch /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/test
                  dnascopev@ubuntu:~$ ls -l /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/test
                  -rw-rw-r-- 1 dnascopev dnascopev 0 Aug 10 13:10 /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/test
                  a file test was created that was 0 bytes. Thank you.

Comment

Did you compile bowtie2 package yourself or download a pre-compiled version?

One last try

Code:
                    $ bowtie2-build -f /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/hg19.fa /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/my_hg19

Comment

Code:
                       dnascopev@ubuntu:~$ bowtie2-build -f /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/hg19.fa /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/my_hg19
                          main()
                      I downloaded the package from github, extracted, and added the directory to path where bowtie2 is.

Code:
                       export PATH=$PATH:/home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/bowtie2-2.6.0
                      I also made it executable using:

Code:
                       chmod +x /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/bowtie2-2.6.0/bowtie2*
                      as I was getting an error:

Code:
                       No command 'bowtie2-build' found, did you mean:
                       Command 'bowtie-build' from package 'bowtie' (universe)
                      bowtie2-build: command not found
                      making bowtie2 executable fixed one issue but lead to another. Thank you .

Comment

Wow .. my head is starting to hurt

Why did you put the bowtie2 executables under the directory with the fasta sequence? There is no logical explanation as to why this is not working .. perhaps bowtie does not like to have any other files/directories where it is working.

If you are willing .. try the following (I am assuming that the executable files are right in bowtie2-2.6.0 directory):

Code:
                        $ mv /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/bowtie2-2.6.0 /home/dnascopev/Desktop/
                        $ export PATH=$PATH:/home/dnascopev/Desktop/bowtie2-2.6.0
                        $ bowtie2-build -f /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/hg19.fa /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/my_hg19

Comment

Code:
                           dnascopev@ubuntu:~$ mv /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/bowtie2-2.6.0 /home/dnascopev/Desktop/
                          dnascopev@ubuntu:~$ export PATH=$PATH:/home/dnascopev/Desktop/bowtie2-2.6.0
                          dnascopev@ubuntu:~$ bowtie2-build -f /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/hg19.fa /home/dnascopev/Desktop/hg19_fasta/my_hg19
                            File "/home/dnascopev/Desktop/bowtie2-2.6.0/bowtie2-build", line 95, in <module>
                              main()
                            File "/home/dnascopev/Desktop/bowtie2-2.6.0/bowtie2-build", line 92, in main

downloaded the zip from: https://github.com/BenLangmead/bowtie2 as I am blocked from sourceforge.

Thank you for all your help .

Comment

I compiled v.2.2.6 from GitHub and can build indexes without any problem so the source files on GitHub are fine.

How about
                            Code:
                            $ ls -lh /home/dnascopev/Desktop/bowtie2-2.6.0/bowtie*

Comment

I am going to re-install. Did you have to do anything besides download, extract, and add to path? Was chmod or make necessary? Thank you

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses