No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie2 --score-min or mismatch setting

Dear All,

I am trying to figure out how to set a mismatch (--score-min) value in Bowtie2. On the forum I have seen '--score-min' settings like 'L, -0.5,-0.2', 'C,0,0', 'C,-1,0' and the assigned default setting by Bowtie2 is 'L,-0.6,-0.6'.

I wish to know the reasons behind deciding values for '--score-min' option. Bowtie2 manual mentions some details that it is a function of read length etc. but does not divulge into further details on how does one decide which function to choose as both 'L' (Linear) and 'C' (Constant) have been used in the cases mentioned above as well as the rationale behind the other two parameters.

My dataset is from Illumina Hi-Seq 2500 and reads are 150 bp long. I want to try a range of mismatch settings from 1 to 11 or so with '--very-sensitive' option under the '--end-to-end' mode.

I would highly appreciate any feedback on this.

Regards,
    Sanjeevksh
    SkSH

I don't think you can use the --very-sensitive setting if you plan to vary the number of mismatches, I think --very-sensitive corresponds to a certain predefined set of parameters, namely ' -D 20 -R 3 -N 0 -L 20 -i S,1,0.50',
    where N is the number of mismatches in the seed region.

Comment

The presets don't alter the score-min setting, so you can mix them at will. The default --score-min will allow up to 15 mismatches for your(I'm ignoring indels here and assuming that you're either using --ignore-quals or that the mismatches occur at positions with high phred scores), so you can gauge the effect by just filtering by MAPQ, the AS tag, or the MD tag.

A constant (C) score-min is only useful if you want to have a maximum edit-distance regardless of read length (again, I'm ignoring the effect of phred scores on the mismatch penalty). In general with end-to-end alignments, you would want the minimum alignment score to change a bit with length. For actually determining the exact equation to use, the main way to do this is with simulated reads, since the --score-min setting directly affects the MAPQ calculation. The defaults generally produce pretty similar MAPQ scores as other programs (namely BWA).

Comment

Hi mastal and dpryan,

Thanks for your replies, are very helpful indeed.

@mastal:
        I was not referring to the mismatches in the seed region which -N (0 or 1) actually pertains to but for the entire end-to-end alignment. On the same subject, if say I have to use '--very-sensitive' and only change '-N' parameter, do I submit '--very-sensitive -N 1' or '--very-sensitive' becomes obselete if any parameter covered by this option is altered and one has to submit the entire parameter set separately like '-D 20 -R 3 -N 1 -L 20 -i S,1,0.50'?

@dpryan:
        So this means just map once with a default '--score-min' setting and then apply filters and use as it deems fit? Now would try to find out how to filter by MAPQ, AS tag, or MD tag.

I am not specifying anything like --ignore-quals.

Regarding the function to use, I would stick to 'L' which I have used in some test runs.

Regards,
        Sanjeevksh
        SkSH

Comment

Yup, exactly. You'll want to filter according to the MD tag, possibly also looking at the sequence in the case of Ns, which you presumably don't want to count.

Comment

MD gives a string so 'XM:i:<N>' field may be more helpful in this context?

Cheers!
            Last edited by sanjeevksh; 04-24-2014, 11:18 AM.
            SkSH

Comment

Indeed, yes, I'd forgotten about that tag!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses