No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sampling for transcriptome analysis

Hi all,

I am going to do a transcriptome analysis of small scale S. cerevisiae fermentations using RNA-seq. I would like to get some feed-back on the protocol i am using to take the biomass samples for the RNA extraction. The results should be used for a comparative differentially expression analysis among 4 different conditions in triplicates - i.e. 12 fermentations that has to be sampled at the same timepoint.

These are the sampling steps:

- Take 2 ml of sample
    - Spin down cell pellet (5 min, in non-cooled centrifuge)
    - Remove supernatant and immediately resuspend pellet in 5 ml RNAlater
    - Incubate samples at 4degreesC for one hour
    - Snap freeze samples in liquid Nitrogen
    - Store at -80C until RNA extraction

What i am worried about is firstly, that the centrifuge i am using does not support cooling. I can compensate this by prechilling the sample tubes on ice before usage, but it will still get warm in the centrifuge. Can 5 min. of centrifugation affect the RNA expression e.g. by upregulation of heat shock proteins? Secondly, it takes ~ 10 minutes to resuspend all the samples in the RNAlater. Would this make a difference among the samples if i keep them on ice? Say one sample is immediately resuspended in RNAlater after centrifugation, and another is resuspended 10 min after.

What do you think of my sampling protocol? Do you think it will give me comparative samples?

Thank you!

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
    by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
    04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
  • seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses