SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > SOLiD

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could I filter rRNA and tRNA by using Tophat or Cufflinks?? mart555 Bioinformatics 36 12-17-2014 06:35 PM
filter sequences from rRNA, tRNA cascoamarillo Bioinformatics 8 01-29-2013 11:13 AM
tRNA/5S rRNA depletion mateo Sample Prep / Library Generation 4 01-26-2012 02:48 PM
RNA-Seq: Polycomb preferentially targets stalled promoters of coding and non-coding t Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 12-24-2010 02:13 AM
Main difference between Interspersed repeats and tandem repeats problem asking... edge General 0 06-17-2010 01:36 AM

Old 09-16-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
EADIE

Default coding exons/ repeats/ rRNA, tRNA, snRNA, snoRNA

hello,
i have some small RNA reads data of Arabidopsis thaliana. i have mapped them to Arabidopsis thaliana genome. now i want to exclude these reads(coding exons/ repeats/ rRNA, tRNA, snRNA, snoRNA, etc) from further analysis. but the question is how can i know which reads are (coding exons/ repeats/ rRNA, tRNA, snRNA, snoRNA)?
EADIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
mrawlins

Location: Retirement - Not working with bioinformatics anymore.

You could filter based on the location in the genome that the read maps to. Using samtools you could write an application (Java has the best samtools bindings, perl is okay, C is harder) to read in the mapped reads, produce a list of reads that map to an excluded location, and output to a new file all the reads that map somewhere else. That's how I would approach it. There may already be some tools that do similar things, but I haven't seen any.
mrawlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
malachig

This seems like the kind of task that could be done with BEDTools.
Links: Download and Manuscript.

The manual describes a few functions in that might be handy. For example, 'IntersectBed' using the 'Reporting the absence of any overlapping features' option might do the trick. Similarly the 'SubtractBed' function might be useful.

I assume you will need to convert your mapped read files to BED format and get an annotation BED file containing the regions you wish to exclude. BEDTools seems to have functions to facilitate some file conversions.
malachig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
steven

Right, i would do as mrawlins proposed, only working on bed files (smaller than sam).
Of course this implies that you know the genomic location of your tRNA/rRNA/etc.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote